Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

There is 1 bent fin at the tip and some pitting on all of the fins. Some shaftplay, about 1-2mm. Fins have a slight edge to the shiny ones, telling me there's been a little contact with the housing.

I bought the turbo knowing about the little bit of shaftplay, but not about the bent fin which has me worried.

Story is, I made 300hp/265tq last Monday. 2 days later my turbo locked up, compressor nut came off and bent the shaft. Bought the exact same turbo used online. Arrived today, and while inspecting I found this. Do I have a $200 paperweight, or is the bent fin nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
shit if the seller didnt tell you about the bent fin id try to get your money back.
nothing like assholes that like to leave info like that out

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't see you making that power with it. What t3 is it? 50 or 60 trim?

No way I would pay $200 for a used t3. I just sold a rebuilt t3 for $125 shipped.

Its not usable in its current condition. It needs a new compressor. If you look at the edge and see how they are rolled back that means they have contacted the housing. You will also need a rebuild and balance.

Pm me and I can you helped out. The good thing is t3 are cheap to work on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I dont know much about turbos, but 1-2mm of shaft play seems like alot, especially when you consider just how fast they spin. Then add a bent fin into the equation, along with some wear from housing contact, I would think thats gunna put the whole thing out of balance.

Sounds like you just spent $200 on a grenade.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you look at the edge and see how they are rolled back that means they have contacted the housing.
Can you explain this better? I dont get what you are referring too? especially the part of them being "rolled over". I see the one blade that is bent, all the rest are normal.......

Usually if it contacts the housing it does a lot more damage, such as take chunks out of the blades and really scars the housing.

Like i asked before, if you put the housing back on, can you move the shaft side to side enough to contact the housing?

·
Registered
764 Posts
you can get a brand new ching chong t3 off ebay for 180 if you look hard enough.

You got ripped my friend.

Ummmm.................. Spending $180 on an Ebay turd would be getting ripped off as well but would have been better then buying this clunk. Still it can be fixed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you look at the edge of the compressor that faces the comp housing contour you will see that at its edge it is bent or folded backward. If you look at the full fin and splitter fin furthest to the right you will see it. Also look at the fins facing the camera. You will see that the top half is bent and the bottom is normal. The leading edge of the compressor on the t3 should be straight from where it meets the hub out to its edge that is closest to the compressor housing. Look at the fin out at its edge and you will see the bend.

That comp has obviously been hitting the housing. Also hitting the comp housing rarely takes "chunks" out of a compressor unless the person continued too neglect it and even then its rate. Usually it bends the edge of the fin. Ingestion of foreign material is what takes chunks.

You have to look at the very edge of the fin. Once you have seen it as many time as I have it will stick out like a sore thumb.

If some of the fins are bent in this manner and others less or more that indicates a bent turbine shaft.

I'm on phone right now. I can edit the picture to show what I mean if that does not make sense.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK shaftplay is 1mm. I can make it just barely scrape the housing when I move it to one side - I hear a light scraping sound, but it's very faint.

There is a tiny step on the blades - I agree that it looks to have contacted the compressor housing at some point.

Took the exhaust housing off and found this:

1 bent fin, 1 chipped fin, and the rest are pitted. Exhaust wheel has oil on it which = bad oil seal?

I made 300hp/265ftlbs at 20psi on the same turbo - T3 60 trim, .60ar comp .63ar exhaust housing. The seller is being cooperative, I'm thinking I should definitely return it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm on phone right now. I can edit the picture to show what I mean if that does not make sense.
Lol, please do. The way I am reading it, the contour of the blade is what you say is messed up. Which sounds to me as if this comp wheel would be messed up too

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK shaftplay is 1mm. I can make it just barely scrape the housing when I move it to one side - I hear a light scraping sound, but it's very faint.

There is a tiny step on the blades - I agree that it looks to have contacted the compressor housing at some point.

Took the exhaust housing off and found this:

1 bent fin, 1 chipped fin, and the rest are pitted. Exhaust wheel has oil on it which = bad oil seal?

I made 300hp/265ftlbs at 20psi on the same turbo - T3 60 trim, .60ar comp .63ar exhaust housing. The seller is being cooperative, I'm thinking I should definitely return it.
Send that bit*h back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Lol, please do. The way I am reading it, the contour of the blade is what you say is messed up. Which sounds to me as if this comp wheel would be messed up too

Either you are blind, don't understand what I am saying, or just mildly retarded. I am guessing the latter after you post a picture of a comp from a completely different family.

After the game I'm watching I will take the time to SHOW you what I am referring too. I will even use bright colors that will be pretty to look at.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Ummmm.................. Spending $180 on an Ebay turd would be getting ripped off as well but would have been better then buying this clunk. Still it can be fixed.
In my opinion i dont believe that to be true. Ive had great success with ebay turbos, along with quite a few of my friends. I was running a real garret but i found that for the price they arent really worth it. Ive torn apart both real and ebay turbos and the difference ive seen in both quality and machining is not negligible, but for the price of the ebay turbos they last and perform at a fraction of the cost. However, if you really want a good quality piece then i would highly suggest staying away from ebay but that probably didnt need to be said.

·
Registered
764 Posts
In my opinion i dont believe that to be true. Ive had great success with ebay turbos, along with quite a few of my friends. I was running a real garret but i found that for the price they arent really worth it. Ive torn apart both real and ebay turbos and the difference ive seen in both quality and machining is not negligible, but for the price of the ebay turbos they last and perform at a fraction of the cost. However, if you really want a good quality piece then i would highly suggest staying away from ebay but that probably didnt need to be said.
You obviously don't own the tools to properly discern the difference between the two. Still some people have good luck with Ebay turds and some don't.

My reply to you is that even a broken watch its right twice a day.

What would you say to a person that has bought 3 and all failed or smoked within the first week of buying them? With a genuine turbo you don't have to worry about this.

The big issue with Ebay compared to genuine is machining, quality of parts, and MACHINING.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright thanks for the help guys, I'm talking with the seller about returning it. He didn't run the turbo either and bought it from another person, so I can't really blame him, but the situation still stands that the turbo is damaged.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Either you are blind, don't understand what I am saying, or just mildly retarded. I am guessing the latter after you post a picture of a comp from a completely different family.

After the game I'm watching I will take the time to SHOW you what I am referring too. I will even use bright colors that will be pretty to look at.
K, no need for you to be a douche. I can see the one to the right looks somewhat bent back, then the next blade is the fucked up one, all the rest look normal. Thats why I asked for clarification, because your post is fucking confusing...

·
Registered
764 Posts
K, no need for you to be a douche. I can see the one to the right looks somewhat bent back, then the next blade is the fucked up one, all the rest look normal. Thats why I asked for clarification, because your post is fucking confusing...
If you knew me you'd know not to take what I say personally. Just me being me. It is confusing because its hard to explain it. When you mess with them day in and day out you just see it. Then when you explain things it makes sense to myself but I know its as confusing as seeing your mom dressed as the mailman with another woman that's looking for a special delivery and your only 4. Scratching your head is all you can really do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts