Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i think its time to throw a fuel filter in my car.. its one thing i overlooked on my setup because ive been so focused on other stuff.

my question is would you guys trust this cheaper fuel filter? or should i just buy the napa gold one.. its a $21 difference. The napa pro select filter is only $8 and the Napa Gold is $29

I know a lot of aftermarket brands actually make stuff better then OEM and some make them worse.. my dad always told me napa uses higher quality replacement parts but that was years ago. Im just wondering if this is a bad idea throwing a $9 fuel filter on my boosted D lmk what you guys think.

also the guy that works at napa told me a lot of napa products are the same stuff they stock.. the only difference is the napa logo on it.. he said they just pay them to put there label on the products. Im wondering if Bosch is labeling the filters for them and they just sell the napa brand for cheaper.

Oh yea i forgot the links lol :doh:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Filter-ProSelect-/_/R-PSX23559_0424564725

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Filter-Gold-/_/R-FIL3559_0238827453

they really don't say the differences on there website and i searched online and can't find any infomation about the media inside the filters.. this is why im asking for opinions

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I'd take a $9 OEM-style filter over nearly anything aftermarket.

I would confirm country of origin for the filters. If the cheap one is made in China, I'd likely stay away from it. If it is made elsewhere, I'd rock it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response bruh.. I just talked to the guys down at napa about the fuel filters ( smart guys, unlike autozone idiots) they told me they cut a few fuel filters apart a few years back.. along with the napa oil filters.

He told me you would be surprised in the differences of filter media in the cheaper ones. He also said napa Gold meets or exceeds OEM.. the $9 onces come with fram type paper filters and they are basically just throw away filters after a few thousand miles..

I ended up getting the napa Gold.. the more i was thinking about it.. i love my car so why not spend some money and have that piece of mind.. Plus i just payed $120 to clean my DSM 450's and have them flow matched.. so I think it would be stupid of me to run a cheap ass filter and possibly clog the filters on my injectors down the road.

EDIT: Shit! I just looked on the napa gold box and it says its made in china... damnit everything is made in china nowa days SMH im rocking it anyway F it

Another EDIT: lol... It says AFFINIA Corp. and WIX Filtration Corp on the box also.. I guess Wix is made in china too? wth

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just bought OEM fuel filters for both my cars, about 50$ after shipping. I'll be using higher quality aftermarket plugs and wires, Il probably use OEM cap and rotor

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check out how dirty this filter was lol pore car was drinking dirty fuel the last few years of owning it.

Now i have a new filter.. walbro 255lp and flow matched DSM injectors. Should be good to go for another 5 years :) or 60,000 miles

Oh also i guess i already had a napa Gold from a few years ago, so i took it apart to see whats inside.. notice it does not say Made in CHINA... and the new one does.. lol everyones out sourcing shit to china wtf also theres nothing special inside the Gold filter.. i kinda want to go spend another $9 just to see whats inside the cheap one. maywbe just better more heavy duty paper filter? That's what im guessing

Attachments

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Im pretty sure the Chinese can make a fuel filter. Its not high technology.
this.

just like they can make tubing and heat exchangers and pumps and cast iron parts and 2 strokes just fine.

when you start getting into cartridge shocks, helical LSDs, and quality die-castings (cam cores, *cough*), you might want to run the other way, though

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this.

just like they can make tubing and heat exchangers and pumps and cast iron parts and 2 strokes just fine.

when you start getting into cartridge shocks, helical LSDs, and quality die-castings (cam cores, *cough*), you might want to run the other way, though
I more or less want to know the difference between the cheaper filters and the more expensive ones.

99% of shit is made in china anyways.. its the china copy's they sell with no brand name that I stay away from

I think its the materials they use that makes the products pore quality not the design, mostly anyway..

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
typically, amount of filter media and density of filter media.

a cheaper filter will have less media that's less restrictive, so won't go down to as fine a particle

a more expensive filter will have more media that's more restrictive, but because there's more of it, it will still flow the same overall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts