Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this forum and have a 99 sedan. i don't plan on doing anything crazy with it- but wanted to improve the handling a little. i know the price seems a little on the low side but i wanted to get your opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKI...tegoryZ33586QQihZ010QQitemZ200071689440QQrdZ1

as far as future plans for the car, i was thinking about sway bars, rear disc conversion, and a few bolt-ons for a little more power.
thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are nice, if you have the extra money to throw around it'd definitely be a nice improvement!!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
yes and no. buying a package deal isn't always the right way to go. the question you must answer is what type of build are you going for and how do you want it to handles. the take it from there.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
nice shocks but its not enough of a drop for me. depends on what your goals are with the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fellas, thanks for the input. i have a second car, and this is my daily driver. i'm not trying to go crazy on this car, but would like to just improve the performance within a limited budget. as far as goals, i'd just like to tighten up the handling for everyday driving and also fun drives in the mountains, etc. at the same time, i don't want the ride to be too punishing since i drive it everyday to work, etc. i was thinking about going for mild power gains- it is an lx, so i was planning on swapping in the y8 head and maybe just a jrsc and bolt-ons. would you guys recommend upgrading the sway bars rather than springs/struts? the car has a little over 100k so i figured maybe the struts would need to be replaced eventually. basically, i just want to try and make the car more fun to drive and not spend too much money doing it. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
fellas, thanks for the input. i have a second car, and this is my daily driver. i'm not trying to go crazy on this car, but would like to just improve the performance within a limited budget. as far as goals, i'd just like to tighten up the handling for everyday driving and also fun drives in the mountains, etc. at the same time, i don't want the ride to be too punishing since i drive it everyday to work, etc. i was thinking about going for mild power gains- it is an lx, so i was planning on swapping in the y8 head and maybe just a jrsc and bolt-ons. would you guys recommend upgrading the sway bars rather than springs/struts? the car has a little over 100k so i figured maybe the struts would need to be replaced eventually. basically, i just want to try and make the car more fun to drive and not spend too much money doing it. what do you guys think?
Unless you have a goal and a bunch of money to waste keep it stock and do all the maintenance. At 100K has the the timing belt and water pump been changed? All your fluids been changed? Tune up? The BEST upgrade will be a nice new set of Falken Azenis in a 195 width. All that right there will cost about $1000.

Contrary to popular belief these cars are not cheap to make fast. It's a front wheel drive econo/commuter car. To make it anything else is to spend THOUSANDS of dollars.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Id bump up one more step and get the tokico illumina strut and spring kit. Thats what I have now and love them for DD. The blues arent bad either, however, they are not designed for any significant drop or higher spring rates. They also are not adjustable. Where the illuminas have shorten rod length for lower drop, designed for higher spring rates, and are adjustable. Trust me, if youve got the extra change go illumina kit if you want to stay with a typical spring suspension (not coilovers). From your post, I do not get that impression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys, thanks for the suggestions. to be honest, routine maintenance was definitely something i didn't figure into the equation so i appreciate the tips. as far as goals, i once had dreams of doing a b-series swap but after doing a little more research, i realized that was probably a little more than i wanted to spend. now i'm hoping just to improve performance a little bit and keep it well rounded.- i guess that sounds pretty vague huh? here's what i'm thinking- let me know if you guys think this is unrealistic or just plain silly:
-130-140 hp at the wheels ( i was thinking maybe similar straight line performance to a 99-00 si) by going with a y8 head, jrsc, header, and exhaust
-rear disc conversion
-mild suspension upgrades
i was hoping to keep the budget around 3500-4000

again, thanks for the help- i'll keep maintenance in mind and also look into the illuminas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts