Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my build plans so far are: (bold=already have)
ccFab log manifold
greddy 15g with 19t insides, wastegate flapper welded shut
tial wastegate
autoworks 2.5 inch dp
vrs 2.5 inch exhaust to magnaflow muffler
dsm 450s
trust/greddy fmic

its basically a beefed up greddy kit, but with only the greddy turbo(kind of). my last 15g set up made 190/192 with just an autoworks fmic kit and 2.5 inch exhaust, greddy cast mani and 2inch dp. i know the basic greddy kit would basically max out before you really need to build the motor, but with my set up now, is it worth to build the block. if i did, it would be fjt custom ibeams and vitaras.

ive just never really seen people building the block for a greddy kit.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well u dont have to build but if u would like more out of it then do it! u can never have enough whp :)
yeah i know i dont "have" to build, but i plan on pushing this setup as far as it can go. ive seen people with 200+ with just the basic greddy kit at 15psi on stock internals. i have full faith in my tuner to get me to 200 on stock internals safely, but ive just never seen a hybrid 15g/19t with a log and bigger dp before. i jsut hope i dont get my feelings hurt.

i guess i dont really want to build the block if its only going to make around 230whp. thats like building the block for 20 horses.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
its all in the tune, the parts can take it. the ? is. how has the turbo changed now with new internals..

same psi? and more topend? or more power at less boost=better spool, i get lost when we start talking about mixing turbo impellars and housings ect. =/

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i know what u mean man.. but y r u wanting to go higher now?
well i was happy with the power that the hatch made but now im putting another kit together for my sol and with better parts(better manifold, bigger downpipe, external wastegate). i have to get my 15g rebuilt so i figured why not have it upgraded as well too.

·
Banned
998 Posts
well it sounds like u like to change stuff around and try different things.. so i say build it if u are able to do the work urself then its not that expensive or hard and in the future u will basically be able to run anything u want and make any power u want when u get tired of ur present goal.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
I say it depends on your ultimate goals. You can probably find some more power from your current set up it would seem. Once you start up grading your turbo, you are going to want to really turn up the boost. If you build the block now, you'll be all set for what ever you throw at it in the future. Boosted91 had a bastard 20g on that CRX he just sold. He had a solid 300WHP set up that was in the 11's.

I would seem to me, that if you put on a bigger turbo, that your injectors will be holding you back. If you put the new injectors on, then your stock block could well be holding you back. Some guys have run up to 250WHP (and more...) on a stock block. It seems in the end, that these builds usually are not as reliable as ones that are tuned to the 200-220WHP range.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Build it! Trust me, after tinkering for awhile with that kit, you may want to upgrade for more power later. You'll already have a stout bottom end, and you wont have to worry about it in the mean time. You'll have room for improvement, and peace of mind with your current set-up. Unless you deffinatly plan on not going for more power in the future. But thats my 2cents. By the way, keep your eye on ebay, I searched once a week for about two months, came up with Eagle h beams, SRP 9.0/1s + rings,and Toga bearings, $500 shipped. All from someone who was gonna build his motor but wrecked the car first.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
goose im going to say do the pistons and rods, and heres why, the other items holding you back like the injectors and turbo ect ect are easily swapped, but once the blocks in the car its a pain to yank it again, as cheap as rods and pistons can be had for a D its worth doing it now, then in the future every thing else , even the head can be swapped or worked on with out pulling the entire motor. its always better to over build the motor especially the bottom end.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
imo, that setup maxed out wont require a built bottom end. Its a great idea if you plan on uprading in the future, but for that setup, its just too much money for such low hp numbers.

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
Do not build it now, just save for an extra block, and when you get the money , build it,

Then you can turn up the boost, if something blows, just put the new build block on it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do not build it now, just save for an extra block, and when you get the money , build it,

Then you can turn up the boost, if something blows, just put the new build block on it.
well the reason i would consider to build the block now is incase this one does blow, id want to eliminate any downtime if possible.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
well the reason i would consider to build the block now is incase this one does blow, id want to eliminate any downtime if possible.
thats how i look at it to, I most often rather do things once and be done with it, heck i even considered sleeving my 300 whp motor just so it was done incase i ever stepped it up. its not allot of money to get rods and pistons and like you said doing it now can in theory eliminate any down time later.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts