Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 d16y8 w/ 200k miles. It doesnt use any oil at all, doesnt smoke, doesnt have any kind of ticks. The motor still runs perfect (leaks a little around the oil pan gasket) but other than that perfect, would it be worth it to start using amsoil? I mean i know I heard its great oil but I mean if i'm going to be building the motor in about a year anyway would it be worth it? I'm running Castrol Syntec right now w/ fram filter. I was going to run ams oil 100% synthetic with a wix filter.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
id use regular dino oil and change it every 3000

fram filters suck

·
Registered
My SI!
258 Posts
Amsoil oil is not worth it unless you are running alot of power! trust me regular motor oil will do just fine. my freind is still running mobil one in his 500hp evo and it does just fine never had a problem. maybe switch the fram filter to wix. never had a problem with fram but it looks like it was manufactuerd by a 3rd grader!

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks guys, yea I noticed. I had to take a brand new filter off once because I was trying to tighten it and the thing collapsed at the top. I'm no longer going to use fram, my last filter in it was a fram tough guard. i'm going to get me a wix filter. I heard its the best.

What would you suggest? Castrol syntec or mobil 1? I heard that penzoil platinium good?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
I use amsoil in my B7 with the amsoil filter as well. If you're not worried about changing the oil for while I would say go for it. I have no problems and I put it in the motor in August or September........I forgot. I'm just a lil afraid of the 0 weight oil. The viscosity kinda scares me. I'm scared I'll rev my motor to pieces. So I use the 5-w30 instead.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Amsoil oil is not worth it unless you are running alot of power! trust me regular motor oil will do just fine. my freind is still running mobil one in his 500hp evo and it does just fine never had a problem. maybe switch the fram filter to wix. never had a problem with fram but it looks like it was manufactuerd by a 3rd grader!
Amsoil is a quality synthetic lubricant. It's use has nothing to do with high performance. (and I'm not a dealer)

I'm a Castrol man myself, but the Mobil 1 filter are good!
A switch in filter would be good.

me personally, used to burn catsrol like crazy. switched to royal purple and barely burn any now. RP FTW
I've never used RP, but there's no doubt it's good stuff. I have used both Amsoil and Mobil1 synthetics a bunch. I like them because I can run a much longer service interval. I ran Castrol GTX for years. Never a complaint. The one thing to consider, is when synthetics first came out they tended to be more apt to leak on older motors and seals. They are much better now, but that is sometimes a factor. I say try the synthetic if you want, but keep an eye on it. You might end up leaking/burning more than you did with dino.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
if you have a small pan leak, it will turn into a bigger pan leak when you switch to synthetic. my old teacher sold the stuff and he steered me away from it on my nissan because i had a rear main seal leak, and he said it would just make it worse.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
let me clarify. castrol gtx was great. then i switched to synthetic around 90k. keep in mind i take mine close to the red all the time. all my gaskets are fresh and all that good stuff, just something about the castrol syntec my civ just didnt like.
a buddy of mine turned me to RP (my old boss) ran that and honda OE filter ever since.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Okay thanks guys, yea I noticed. I had to take a brand new filter off once because I was trying to tighten it and the thing collapsed at the top. I'm no longer going to use fram, my last filter in it was a fram tough guard. i'm going to get me a wix filter. I heard its the best.

What would you suggest? Castrol syntec or mobil 1? I heard that penzoil platinium good?

were u tightening it with a filter wrench or something?
u gotta do them by hand... only like 3/4 of a turn after contact is needed for it to be leak free...

i like mobil 1 myself, that is what honda recommends.

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
" Now that's using your dipstick Jimmy!"

That's about what I know.

that is hilariousssss
I saw it at walmart last night for $35 for 5 quarts of it. If I was going to pay that much for oil I would just go ahead and pay a little more for amsoil.

Do you guys think its any different than syntec?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
The commercials are funny. They claim Castrol Edge has 8x better wear protection than Mobil1. It's a different formulation than Syntec. It's meant to compete with Mobil1 Extended, as well as Amsoil. It has a service life of 15K or one year. I've been buying the 5 Qt jugs of Mobil1 from Wallyworld. That's usually less than $25, but I go about every 6 months for oil changes with that. The extra $$$ could be worth it if you do leave the Edge in for longer.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
I have a 97 d16y8 w/ 200k miles. It doesnt use any oil at all, doesnt smoke, doesnt have any kind of ticks. The motor still runs perfect (leaks a little around the oil pan gasket) but other than that perfect, would it be worth it to start using amsoil? I mean i know I heard its great oil but I mean if i'm going to be building the motor in about a year anyway would it be worth it? I'm running Castrol Syntec right now w/ fram filter. I was going to run ams oil 100% synthetic with a wix filter.

thanks guys.
the short answer is yes. amsoil is very much worth running, another great choice is royal purple. read this study done on some oils and look how they performed. i personally love amsoils extended drain allowance, i run it in my van and only change the oil once a year.
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts