Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D17 up on an offer site, owner ran it completely dry of oil and it was knocking, didn't sieze but definitely failed.

Is the crank likely to be too bad to get massaged back into fighting shape? I figure I can scrap the rest for close to half the price I've talked him down to if it's something I can reuse after some professional attention.

Says it was diagnosed as noise from a connecting rod and he since had the motor replaced. Makes me cringe but hell. I don't know enough to make a decision.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Not worth $20

what kind of an asshole tries to get $100 or more for an engine that was run dry of oil?

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol his ad said 400 and he tried to say the computer told him it was a rod knock at first, that kind of asshole.

I just want the crank for a future build, and something to tear apart before I tear open a motor I'm actually gonna use. Never opened up a Honda really

Attachments

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'll source something different... No hurry.

I'm just used to stuff costing a lot more, sourcing Honda stuff has been jaw dropping in that regard. And the community is so deep. My mk1 fiesta was the exact opposite (good luck w parts locally, a full tune up set me back $435, vintage formula f guys the only source of engine info)

Reactions: Black91CRXsi

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Real near, like right out the window, but w steely aluminum at 17 cents a pound it's not even worth much as scrap.

He says it turns over and didn't sieze, knocks bad. I'm gonna worry less about parts hording for future stuff and more on the build thread I just started.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crank pistons etc were all I was after but thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts