Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh baby. i have $5000 to spend on an engine. that includes tranny, exhaust, management, build up, and turbo kit.

now.. what the hell do i do to get to a 250-300hp mark?
i have ideas, but really- in comparison to you guys, i dont know squat.

i tried searching, but didn't really come up with much.

tia.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what car do you have. what are u workin with... rebuilt block with lower compresion pistons, Pnp , matched intake and exhust , sleeved block, turbo, some juice, custom 3inch piping , new tranny with and buy ya self a lsd, micro polish crank, cam cam gear call it a day. if ya doin the work your self then you can do it. if you getting some one eles to do the work thats not going to give u the hook up then cut my list in half cuz u wont have enough money

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www.sparkracing.com

They have some pretty good deals on prebuilt blocks. I would suggest an ls/vtec w/ forged internals. That should run you about $2500. Tranny i would do a hybrid between a B18c1(1st two gears) and the rest with a b18b1. If you can find a Type R, just buy that b/c it comes stock with the LSD.

That should leave you about $2000 for a turbo setup. I know i could get together a kick ass setup for $2000.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigwig NJ said:
www.sparkracing.com

They have some pretty good deals on prebuilt blocks. I would suggest an ls/vtec w/ forged internals. That should run you about $2500. Tranny i would do a hybrid between a B18c1(1st two gears) and the rest with a b18b1. If you can find a Type R, just buy that b/c it comes stock with the LSD.

That should leave you about $2000 for a turbo setup. I know i could get together a kick ass setup for $2000.
i can't find shit on that site, lol

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
john said:
Bigwig NJ said:
www.sparkracing.com

i can't find shit on that site, lol
Are you retarded? It took me 2 seconds to find lots of shit.

As far as how to spend your money I would just do some research. A stock D16Z6 with nothing more than rods/pistons and a turbo kit will easily get you 300whp and you will have lots of money left over. A b-series would be a better platform, but will cost more form the start. You won't need to build the b-series to get 300whp though. Just do your research and decide on your own because there are a million options you could choose from.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i figured out the site, it wasn't loading because of a scanner thing i have ;p

oh well, about the car-

what do you mean by the b series would be a better platform? i assume you mean the ls, and not b16, b18, etc.

what can i do to make a d16z6 hit 300hp and be dead reliable? sleeve, rods, pistons, rings? at what point should cams and head be upgraded?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get a b-series and make 300whp on stock internals, thus it is a better pltaform to start with. If you want 300whp out of a d-series all you will need to upgrade are the rods/pistons. The stock sleeves will be fine for that HP and there's really no need to upgrade anything else likes cams, vlavtrain, intake mani, etc... Get good fuel management (meaning chipped ECU or a stand alone) and have it tuned with a wideband o2 and you will be good to go.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i dont know much about tranny mods, i figured the stock d16 tranny would work fine, with a quaife lsd and a stage 3 clutch...
i dunno what to do about brakes... they are fuggin expensive :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beerbongskickass said:
You can get a b-series and make 300whp on stock internals, thus it is a better pltaform to start with. If you want 300whp out of a d-series all you will need to upgrade are the rods/pistons. The stock sleeves will be fine for that HP and there's really no need to upgrade anything else likes cams, vlavtrain, intake mani, etc... Get good fuel management (meaning chipped ECU or a stand alone) and have it tuned with a wideband o2 and you will be good to go.
so no need for a block guard?
what pistons, rings, and rods do you guys reccomend?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would stay away from block guards. If you get to a point where your worried about sleeve then sleeve the block. Eagle rods are cheap ($300) and should be fine. I have been looking into CP or endyn pistons myself.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok hows this part list sound:

d16z6 block
edelbrock turbo kit
hondata
apexi turbo timer
es oval muffler
2.5" exhaust
clutchmaster stage 3 clutch
eagle rods

now the things im unsure of...
-what pistons-
-what tranny setup- should i just get a quaife lsd on the stock tranny, or get a different one? would a type r bolt up?
-what does a wideband o2 sensor do, and do i need one?-
-will 450cc dsm injectors work for 300hp on the d16?-
-what hp is the edelbrock intercooler good to?-
-am i missing any parts? i feel im going to need more than just this, most likely fuel management-

and most importantly - is the edelbrock kit good for this much horsepower?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
john said:

d16z6 block
edelbrock turbo kit
hondata
apexi turbo timer
es oval muffler
2.5" exhaust
eagle rods

-what pistons-
-what tranny setup- should i just get a quaife lsd on the stock tranny, or get a different one? would a type r bolt up?
-am i missing any parts? i feel im going to need more than just this, most likely fuel management-

first off, sorry I'm late, second. a del sol s is a non vtec engine. you probably should consider doing a mini me or just throwing in a d16z6/y8.

as far as I know, the you don't have to worry about the block because it's pretty much what you already have.

the edelbrock turbo kit is expensive. but it's very complete. it can get you over 200 whp when tuned.

a type-r lsd will not bolt up unless you put in a b-series engine. so consider that you'll be spending 1000 for an lsd.

is it going to be a daily driver? if so then I would use the stock z6/y8 tranny or you can always talk to transzex(sp?) he knows lots and lots about custom transmissions.

I don't think that intercoolers are really good to a certain hp, they're good to a certain boost range. if you get too big of an intercooler it'll cause you to loose hp because the air flow will slow down, but it's too small then you won't be cooling the right amount of air.

I would consider maybe changing the clutch choice to one that is more suitable for daily driving and won't be so hard on the leg, but that is of course if it's going to be a daily driver.

as far as an exhaust goes. you'd probably be best off by having a custom 3" pipe ran to a turbo muffler. from my understanding a 3" exhaust pipe is the best way to go for turbo, especially if you're building for high HP.

the first thing that you have to decide is what engine you're going to build. once you've decided that let us know and we can help you from there.

hope this helps.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
on a another note. do a rear disc conversion ( if you don't have them already) or look into big brake kits. but with the big brake kits you have to run at least 17"s. but there is alot of information in the suspension forum about brakes, go look.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gftgrill said:
john said:

d16z6 block
edelbrock turbo kit
hondata
apexi turbo timer
es oval muffler
2.5" exhaust
eagle rods

-what pistons-

first off, sorry I'm late, second. a del sol s is a non vtec engine. you probably should consider doing a mini me or just throwing in a d16z6/y8.

as far as I know, the you don't have to worry about the block because it's pretty much what you already have.

the edelbrock turbo kit is expensive. but it's very complete. it can get you over 200 whp when tuned.

a type-r lsd will not bolt up unless you put in a b-series engine. so consider that you'll be spending 1000 for an lsd.

is it going to be a daily driver? if so then I would use the stock z6/y8 tranny or you can always talk to transzex(sp?) he knows lots and lots about custom transmissions.

I don't think that intercoolers are really good to a certain hp, they're good to a certain boost range. if you get too big of an intercooler it'll cause you to loose hp because the air flow will slow down, but it's too small then you won't be cooling the right amount of air.

I would consider maybe changing the clutch choice to one that is more suitable for daily driving and won't be so hard on the leg, but that is of course if it's going to be a daily driver.

as far as an exhaust goes. you'd probably be best off by having a custom 3" pipe ran to a turbo muffler. from my understanding a 3" exhaust pipe is the best way to go for turbo, especially if you're building for high HP.

the first thing that you have to decide is what engine you're going to build. once you've decided that let us know and we can help you from there.

hope this helps.
sorry i didnt specify. i plan on building a d16z6. im aiming for 250-300hp.
more or less at this point, im looking for a parts list. ;)

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
you might consider building a turbo kit, or buying a greddy one. the edelbrock one is nice, but for about 3000 - 3500, that's a BIG chunk of your budget.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well is the greddy worth the price difference?
is it worth paying extra for the intercooler, the intake manifold and all that?

its hard to find a piping kit that is made for the del sol.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts