Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is making a lot of noise.
The previous owner said it’s a wobbly cylinder, but I’m not too sure.

What’s the easiest way to check if it’s a wobbly cylinder or if it just needs valve adjustment (without ripping apart the engine).

This is not a Honda engine, but I would still appreciate some help.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE.

3.1L V6 (currently getting 16+ mpg, mainly city, supposedly got 21mpg when new).
I think it’s rated at around 165hp 185fp*tq

I just picked up this car a couple of weeks ago as a winter beater while I work on my hatch.

The car runs pretty strong... strong enough to spin tires with an auto trans, when floored.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well... when the car is idling, there is no noise what so ever.
but once I push on the gas, the noise appears and gets louder as I push more gas.

I had my valve tapping a little on my d16 (just needed valve lashing), but it was a lot more high pitched noise than this one. Then again, it's a different engine.

Would a compression test help determining anything? ...meaning weather it's the cylinder or the valve.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Wait a second I may retract my bid lol. I just read your last post and if I am understanding you, this is a "deeper" sounding noise? That could very well be rod knock yup yup. Its very easy to hear if its upper end or lower end noise.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was kind of thinking it might be a timing chain too though.
It would kind of make sense... when gas is pushed, there's a heavier load, and there fore the noise;
when engine is idling... no load = no noise ...does that make sense?

I'd figure if it was a road, it would be more of a constant humming noise… something that wouldn’t really go away at idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 1991 D16A6 Honda Civic Si and mine dosent knock untill i give it gass either and mine holds a perfect idol speed and my compression is fine so u may have to take it appart a little urself to find out

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got this car pretty cheep, so I could drive it while I'm working on my civic, so I really don't feel like tearing this one apart.

The more I think about it, the more certain I am it's a valve.
It does sound very similar to what my d16 sounded like before valve lashing.

Plus, I just did an oil change, and although oil was very dark (probably hasn't been changed in a while), there were no metal shavings what so ever, and the engine doesn't smoke.

I've also replaced the air filter and poured an injector cleaner last week, and now the car gets 17.53mpg.

The problem is, it's a front wheel drive V6, meaning three cylinders face the front, and three face the firewall. It seems like the noise is coming from the side closer to the firewall, so even if I did want to do valve lashing, I'd have to take remove the intake manifold, ignition coils and so on.

I have an automotive stethoscope, so I'll try pinpointing the source of the knocking tomorrow... hopefully it'll the valves ...the ones in front :p

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
could be lifter noise too. I believe those are hydrolic lifters. Not much you can do but swap them out. Remember this is not a honda and there is no adjusting to the valves. They have a spring loaded hydrolic lifter. Get it real nice and hot, does it seem to go away at all when very hot?

·
Registered
06 coupe
1,464 Posts
damn wish u was a local id bring it to work and then give u a def answer and cost and guide to fix it yourself. one of the perks to working for gm. oh well ya i would say if its a upper end noise bizzar is right.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts