Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 90 civic si that doesn't like to go in gear. 1st is ok, 2nd is hit or miss, 3rd and 4th are ok but it won't go into 5th at all. I can hear it touching the gear, but it won't fully go in. Also the shifter is really wierd, when it is in gear I can move the shifter side to side :wierd:

It seems like it needs to be adjusted, but I don't know. Any help would be awesome, thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
sounds like bad syncros (sp). for the gears. I don't know what to tell you about it tho. I'd probably replace it. Transrex should chime in on that one.

The rattling shifter can be adjusted under the car. Look at where the lever connects to the shift linkage, there is only one bolt that connects the two. Tighten, but don't over tighten it. You'll have to check to make sure you can still shift. The tighter it is, the harder it will be to shift!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, I put the car up, and I checked the shifter bolt, it was tight, but the bushing that the bolt goes through is sloppy. Also the "cup" that the shifter ball sits is is really worn out.That would explain the 2nd gear pop out, but not going into 5th?
I disconected the shifter linkage and moved the rod into 5th, but there still is no 5th. Is it possable that the 5th gear shifter fork is broken,or has come out of the synchro sleeve?

I had thought of rebuilding the transaxle, but I noticed that in the local wreckers, they have civic transaxles for $150 lol

Thanx.

Edit: Also, I checked the transaxle mount, and it was tight, very little movement at all.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its funny the 91 Si hatch w/ a D16Y7 i had recently bought for 1300 that all I thought only needed to have matinace done. I was having simmler problems and was going to look into asap (but that wasnt soon nuff). Well there was a gentle rattle that got slightly lounded (till the end) that I thought have been the heat shield shaken lose. Turns out when i was driving to my friends to put on a new TB that *bang*, *rev*. and *clack clack* lol tranny wnet and now sits at a tanny place here in orlando. the internals where worn and old (not to my knowledge yet) and i ended up destroying it beyond repare. SO my 2 cents are to look into your problem w/ some of the T-shooting other members have posted but unless you are skilled and capable of cracking open the tranny and know what your looking at w/ INSANE amouts of knowledge... I vote you take it to a shop w/ good warenty, b/c if THEY screw up THEY PAY for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts