Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! At it again! Just trying to get the damn thing running.

Dohc ZC Blacktop converted to obd1. Chipped P28 ecu. 1989 CRX HF

Here's what happened:

I fired it up to go to work Saturday morning. i pulled out onto a main road, and ran it to 4k rpms. the car backfired big time. Like a freaking gun shot(though it is straight piped right now, so im taking that into account). Then it made a weird grunting noise from under the hood. I've since checked dizzy, plugs, wires, timing, and the cat. The cat is melted, so i have it unbolted. That was from a previous issue. I also checked the compression last week. The car has since not started at all. Not even for a millisecond. We tried starter fluid, so i know it's not only in the fuel system. Unless something is plugged and not letting the right amount through. Because it cant backfire without an explosion. But i checked for spark, and I've got plenty. Next is to change the fuel pump and maybe clean the injectors? It tried starting once, but made the same grunting noise when it died.

Does any of this sound like something anyone has dealt with before?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prime the pump and then crack the line on the filter to see if there is any pressure.
I've already got the pump, so it's going to be replaced anyway. I know for sure that the pump is getting power. i hear the vibration from it turning on. but pressure is a whole other thing. I'll check it out. Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,102 Posts
check timing, do another compression and leak down test.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Hold on, ....put things in order here. The cat "melted", then you converted to obd1? Or car was already converted to.obd1, then the cat melted?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hold on, ....put things in order here. The cat "melted", then you converted to obd1? Or car was already converted to.obd1, then the cat melted?
Already melted. I was just putting it out there that that was not the issue. It was from a previous problem. It's been solved. The map sensor was telling my fuel to run at WOT. It was running like that for 3 months. but under very light usage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you checking for spark at the plug?

Like someone else mentioned, check your mechanical timing hasn't jumped.
Yeah. Checked for spark on each individual wire with it's respective plug. Also just put a band spanking new dizzy on it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i remember when i get home i'll have a look at the wiring schematic i used to convert to OBD1 and you can double check your wires.
Thanks Man. It would nice if that was my only issue. I didn't do the harness myself. But there is a larger plug with multiple wires and pins. Then there is a small plug that has two wires. The smaller one I have cut a spliced together because they guys that made my harness suck at keeping the wires in the Fking plugs

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
541 Posts
Thanks Man. It would nice if that was my only issue. I didn't do the harness myself. But there is a larger plug with multiple wires and pins. Then there is a small plug that has two wires. The smaller one I have cut a spliced together because they guys that made my harness suck at keeping the wires in the Fking plugs
I couldn't find the image i used when i had a look, but i can just take a pic of my harness over the weekend. I'm pretty confident you're not supposed to splice together the CPS wiring though. You're running an OBD1 dizzy yeah?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't find the image i used when i had a look, but i can just take a pic of my harness over the weekend. I'm pretty confident you're not supposed to splice together the CPS wiring though. You're running an OBD1 dizzy yeah?
Yeah. Obd1. Also, I got the injectors pulled. The're shot. As well as the fpr. There was a heavy fuel smell from inside the vacuum hose. I even checked where the hose meets the intake manifold.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
541 Posts
Yeah. Obd1. Also, I got the injectors pulled. The're shot. As well as the fpr. There was a heavy fuel smell from inside the vacuum hose. I even checked where the hose meets the intake manifold.
This is the pinout for my harness that I converted to OBD1 running a TD043U

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the pinout for my harness that I converted to OBD1 running a TD043U
Mine is all wired up the same. I just checked it. Hopefully it was the injectors and the fpr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
check your cam timing and do a compression test, sounds like your timing belt jumped a tooth.
Unfortunately, the timing was spot on. I found that all my seals and o rings are bad on my injectors. They might also be plugged up. and fpr went out as well. if I can't maintain fuel pressure, it won't run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts