Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 91 Honda Civic RT 4WD with the D16A6 completely stock besides the K&N cold air intake.

So this is my problem I'll start my car just fine, and then Ill go on a drive, and it won't go past 3500-4000 RPMs, and the RPMs will bounce everywhere up to 6000 even though I'm not even close to that. Once the car reaches operating temperature for a minute or two it runs just fine I can go past 4000 RPMs, but the RPMs gauge will bounce intermittently.

I've heard of people replacing the ECU or the Distributor does anyone know what my problem is.

Thanks for taking a look.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
When is the last time you did a tune up, cap, rotor, wires, plugs?

I suspect the distributor right off the bat since you mention the tach issue.

Also could be a plugged cat, or some sort of massive air blockage (intake or exhaust) and quite possibly a lack of fuel issue as well (more RPM, more load, needs more fuel... so it runs fine at lower RPM and lower fuel demands but chokes out when it needs the gasoline)

Now you have some things to check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it automatic?
Its a Manual.

When is the last time you did a tune up, cap, rotor, wires, plugs?

I suspect the distributor right off the bat since you mention the tach issue.

Also could be a plugged cat, or some sort of massive air blockage (intake or exhaust) and quite possibly a lack of fuel issue as well (more RPM, more load, needs more fuel... so it runs fine at lower RPM and lower fuel demands but chokes out when it needs the gasoline)

Now you have some things to check.
yesterday I replaced the Cap, Rotor, and spark plug wires didn't do a thing.

the thing I don't get is that it runs fine after it gets to operating temp. possible Cat???

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Id look towards the ICM in the dizzy or the coil. Easy to find how-to's for doing the tests.

And whats the check engine light code if it has any?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
Bearing in the dizzy could be gone. It happened on my 91 ed. It would start and run fine until around 4000 rpm, it would jist start breaking up way to bad and not reving.and the tach would bounce around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts