Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just driving and 2nd gear pull about 7-8krpm something just lets go like I shifted into neutral or an axle broke. Motor running but car basically slowed to a stop and in gear it will not move. locks up.

I took the transmission out thinking maybe clutch dismantled itself but the clutch looked pretty good. I looked inside the transmission from axle holes and I can see little shards of metals laying inside. So internally something let go. The shaft spins in neutral but locks up after a few turns and then spins again.
Any ideas what this could be. Id rather fix the transmission then junk it since I have tons of spare parts. Transmission was perfect before this

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
yeah let me just get my long range x-ray goggles out...

JUST OPEN IT!
no no no.
We got x ray scanners now a days.

lol.....

but yea OP.
Crack it open and see. either way its not working and its not doing you any good looking at it till it fix itself.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
yeah let me just get my long range x-ray goggles out...

JUST OPEN IT!
hey hey now, theres only enough room for one of us.....and sadly youre funnier. fuck!:no:

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
hey hey now, theres only enough room for one of us.....and sadly youre funnier. fuck!:no:
It's okay to have an off day Slo ... you and Neon can just tag team it.

Epic noob trool tag team.

·
4,107 Posts
its turning into an army lol. whoshot is a tantrum twin

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Would know until you open it up.

Either shitter fork broke and you have two gears engaged or 4th and 5th were dry and finally locked up, stripped a bunch of teeth....or....

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Mine did this on the freeway, kind of made a sound like a card in the spokes before I stopped completely. Burned out 4-5, when I pulled it you could hear parts jingling in the housing, I just got another transmission since I dont know what damage little parts in my trans at 60mph did to the rest of the gears, bearings, seals and such.

Good luck man.

side note: been off my game lately on the hate, well I got some n00b the other day but still....in for royal rumble any time, over the ropes rules, feet touch your out. Cheating and chairs allowed.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
In for carnage

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
swapped the tranny out and decided to open the old one up out of curiosity. Car is running great now with new tranny in.

Everything else looks good the gears are good except for the diff and final drive i think its called. I dont know anything about transmissions yet. Had a real bitch of a time taking the snap ring out.

the fuck is this ball for.

just wondering if this is a common problem. Car is not making more than 400hp and I never beat on it.
Should I fix it or not. I can get parts for damn near free. Should cost no more than 3 dollars for new parts.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
If that cheap go for it, at least tear it down and go from there.

·
4,107 Posts
fix it. cant hurt to have a spare.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
That ball is one of three detent balls that you failed to remove before splitting the case, 96-00 B000 case.

FD's are cheap, but finding out why it happened and how much other damage was caused. Judging something oil related by the discoloration.

Need a 3.722 FD for cheap?

(Will, quit laughing, I told ya!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts