Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
trusty rusty ED6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title says it all. crank pulley started wobbling the other day. not sure why. car still runs well enough. i can hear it rubbing when i'm sitting in the driver's seat but only at idle. full disclosure: i'm still learning the finesse of shifting a manual trans so i've had a couple unintentionally aggressive launches but nothing that would spin the tires or anything. and i'm almost 100% sure i haven't over-revved it (no tach so can't be sure) it's a d15b1 block with a d15b head. i really don't know why it would start wobbling like that. any ideas?? and besides getting a new pulley, anything i should be worried about? would driving it cause more problems or should i keep it parked till it's fixed?? i know some of these questions are noobish, but this has got me pretty confused.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
rsx
120 Posts
1. check oil
2. check harmonic balancer, look to see if the key is gone, or harmonic balancer is f'ed up.
3. take oilpan off and take pics or vids for more info..

·
Registered
trusty rusty ED6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well shit, those are all bad. thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
1990 Honda ED hatch
187 Posts
easy way to check for mains. take a pry bar and put behind the puller. pry back and forth. if u can move the crank out and in. thats a main bearing problem

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If the mains where so worn that you could see run out in the pulley, the knock would be so bad you could hear it a block away and it would have zero oil pressure and would very quickly spin a bearing and lock up.

It will be the rubber layer has degraded (maybe by to much exposure to hot oil) and the outer ring will be moving around on the inner hub.

Another less likely chance is the bolt is lose.

I would not drive it as the thing might fly off and cause severe damage to any one or anything it hits.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
loosen the crank bolt, remove, and check to make sure the pulley isnt egg'd out

if it is, your motor is fine, you jsut need to machine the snout and use a rbass bush, or jsut a new pulley and some locktite on teh crank bolt

Ive seen it have quite a bit to d15 motors (d15b1/2/6/7/8)

Fixed 7 myself so far.

hell, Ive seen a lazy buddy of mine hog out the pulley, and bevel a thick washer like a lugnut, and mash that bitch on there, and it fixed it.

Personally, Id mahcine the crank snout if the crank was fine, and use a rbass bush to space it correctly back to stock

·
Registered
trusty rusty ED6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's pretty minor right now. unfortunately i HAVE to drive it this week. i know that's not the best but i figure if the problem isn't the pulley i'm already screwed and if it IS the pulley i've gotta get a new one anyway. . . so i'm crossing my fingers and hoping it holds up till i get time to take it apart and check it all out. i've already driven with it like this for a couple days and it hasn't gotten any worse. i know, i know. . . it''s a bad decision. but like i said i've got no choice. NEED to drive it this week.

BLK92_D16 - no mine isn't THAT bad. yet.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
If the pulley falls off, worst that happens is you drive 5-10 minutes on a full battery charge

that is ONLY if its external. if your bearings or thrust is causing the wobble, well, have fun sourcing a new motor lol

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Matt

Have you ever seen the carnage resulting from a torsional vibration damper coming adrift.

If the hub and all comes off, you will have a massive oil leak out the front cover.

If it is lose on the snout, further driving increases risk of damage to the snout, but Honda cranks are pretty tough.

If I drove it I would keep the revs real low.

I still think it is almost certainly the rubber in the TVD losing adhesion to the hub or outer ring.

·
Registered
rsx
120 Posts
i think your rubber bushing in the crank balancer is f'ed up and its causeingyour wobble. i've seen it a few times

1 - 20 of 22 Posts