Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So since I have not been doing well with staying boosted its time to step back a bit and start over from the basics, kinda. The West Michigan Honda meet is July 15-17 and its a motivating goal to get the civic going again. I need to take a direction with a build for this car. Road racing has always sounded fun, and I'd like to do some auto x but I've never dedicated the time to go to such events but I'm hoping that this year is the year. Since I need to rebuild the motor again I've decided to just put a stock motor in the car and work on the issues I have with my car.

So here is the build idea;

Stock d16z6 with 102k (picked it up last weekend)
My rocket regrind cam (maybe swap valve springs and new valve seals)
Edelbrock intake with ls throttle body (have)
3" CAI with velocity stack
b series RMF v2 header (Put D flange on it and remove megphone)
ATI Dampner
Port oil pump
Open up oil holes in main bearing
New timing belt (reuse from turbo motor)
New water pump (reuse from turbo motor)
VW MKIV Injectors (have)
Sump the factory gas tank
Walbro inline 255lph
AEM Fuel rail
E-85, stock rev limiter and tuned by me
New 2jz Harness
215/45r16 BfGoodrich Rivals

What I already have on the car
Just refreshed Si trans with, carbon synchros, 4.437 FD, OBX LSD
Lightweight flywheel, stock clutch disc with eBay pressure plate
Traction Bar with tubes and rod ends changed last year
4 year old energy suspension bushings
Hardrace upper and lower rear control arms
rear disc brakes
Tokico Illumina shocks with ground controls 550r/450f
full 3" exhaust
small car diet

Here is where its starting

Its cold out and I hate the cold so I talked the Wife into buying me this.

I'd say its working well. It got up to 68 and I was sweating. Awesome lol

Starting to tear down the z6, throw away the junk keeping whats good.

The crank pulley bolt was really tight. Electric impact wouldn't take it off

After this I put the motor on the engine stand, removed the valve cover and drained the oil. It was super black but not shiny. So now it was time to turn the civic around so I can actually work on it.

I do not recommend the cheap movers from harbor freight. This was a huge pain by myself.

Turned around and in her corner. Just got to get the engine bay emptied out.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have to deal with life a little bit. My reliable daily the G37 is throwing low oil pressure codes so the front timing cover has to come off. It a huge job the book calls for 12.5 hours to do the job, needs spark plugs, trans fluid change, rear end fluid changed, struts, and new tires. I'm glad I have till July to get the civic going. So right now I'm driving a friends MKIV GTI its a fun and nice driver, has some mods but would be perfect with another 100hp. My father in law texted the wife and I guess we are buying a truck too. He has a 02 2500hd Duramax he offered us for 5k. It used to be my work truck and its really pretty nice. Its a deal too good to say no to. Plus we could really use another vehicle and a truck is perfect. Should be getting it next week. Not sure how fast the civic will be running and I'm sure some pictures of the Infiniti will make it in here as that project progresses as well as long as its done in time for WMHM I'll be happy.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I do have to deal with life a little bit. My reliable daily the G37 is throwing low oil pressure codes so the front timing cover has to come off. It a huge job the book calls for 12.5 hours to do the job, needs spark plugs, trans fluid change, rear end fluid changed, struts, and new tires.
I hope its not the gasket that pushes out on the inner timing cover.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tickets go on sale the 15th. GL with the build, hope to see you there
I'm hoping I can snag a ticket up. It would be cool to run into another DSO member.

I hope its not the gasket that pushes out on the inner timing cover.
I'm pretty positive thats what it is since it seems to be a common failure.

So life is still being a the VW I'm borrowing the alt took a crap on the way to work. It started over charging then it started to drain the battery when the car was off. There goes 180 to a car thats not mine. Needs a belt too. The one that was on the car was crap and the spare had has a nice cut in it too.

Had to reorganize the barn to make room for the VW. Took 40 minutes with those cheap crappy caster mover things.

Need a bigger barn.

The damn VW thats robbing me.

This rotten bastard, rhe last person who put it on only put 1 out of the 2 bolts that bolt it to the car. So I had to find another bolt.

All back in there. The belt is a lot tighter now. I think it was maybe an hour to get it put back in but my trickle charger refused to charge the battery I guess. I found my booster pack that I forgot about and it was dead too. By the time I got it started and got cleaned up to go to bed it was 4 a.m. which is way too late... Still need to get a belt before work today.

While waiting for batteries to charge I decided to play with some of my other projects, pulled the engine harness out of the civic and some other things. Tried pulling the oil pan off the civic but some of the bolts are so rust my socket was just spinning on the bolts, so I moved on. Started tearing the Infiniti apart some more. Need to drain coolant so I need jack stands didn't get too far.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then there is this project. My moms sled motor. Its getting a big bore kit and maybe a port job. Hoping to get it in the 9s. Runs 10.40s right now and its mostly stock its a lot of fun.

Cyl 3 is in bad shape. We had a water pump failure and it started sucking in a lot of water into that cylinder. The grooves are deep cylinder looks like crap too.

That was my long last night. Spending money I dont really have right now on a car thats not mine... Ugh life why do you suck some times.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Ill be there... im super excited for the vtec club time attack

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How life can change things. Will be cool to see how it turns out.

What happened with the turbo set up?
In April I split the sleeve on #4 after a day at the track. Car was 100% fine up until that day for several months. Got it back together this fall with a sleeved block. Made it a month and melted down cylinder 4. Thinking its several issues adding up so things need to be adjusted and changed before I start pushing it again.

Ill be there... im super excited for the vtec club time attack
I look forward to watching you tear it up in the s2k!

B series has different bore centers than the D series. Just get a D header.
I know I've set them side by side. They are really close though. The middle two are spot on and the outer two are half a port off. The head flange angle is different too but I think its very do able. Anyways bored me looking around ebay this morning found this turbo kit for the same price as the v2 header. Stock z6 on 5-8 psi maybe? I think it would be easier to do than the changes that need done to go back to na. I thought I saw a thread the other week of a guy who had a stock d with ebay turbo and it made 180/200. Sounds like plenty of fun for now. I have a y7 head and I like how fat the rocker pads are. Reminds me of a b series and makes me think I would have less cam wear issues if I went y7. Is it true the are just a non vtec z6 head or does it have y ports with the z combustion chamber?

Worked on the infiniti some tonight. Ran into the power steering pump bracket and its so dang stupid! I called it quits for the night.

Finally got plenty of room to start really working on it.

But this power steering pump bracket... It sits in front of the piece that holds the tensioner pulley and two idler pulleys. So you cant get that bracket/plate piece out.

So the next step is to take off the power steering pump bracket but it wraps around and has 2 bolts on the back side that sit behind the exhaust heat shield....

Dumb just dumb. Maybe I can get creative and get them out or loose enough to just get to be out of the way... Such is life lately.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
If you're going to track it, don't get a cheap turbo kit. KISS and just make sure the engine is in good shape. If you're not experienced having more power will just make your learning curve steeper.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're going to track it, don't get a cheap turbo kit. KISS and just make sure the engine is in good shape. If you're not experienced having more power will just make your learning curve steeper.
Again I'm not disagreeing with you but staying turbo will be simpler. I dont want gobs of power. My 16g set up is too much and I know what you mean by a steep learning curve. I just want something similar in power as a healthy na b series. I know it will have more torque than a b but it wont be obscene. I'm really thinking about a y7 head swap.I read they only flow 7-8 cfm less than a z6. I would just have to gasket match it to my intake but the tiny y7 cam would help keep the power down. Those ebay turbos seem to last for a while at low boost. I just want it to make it through the weekend because I have my eye on the Hahn 16g and p2p0 rods and pistons are only 365. Something to really think about if I get hooked on the road course stuff. If I don't then I need to aim for a street friendly build.

Worked on the Infiniti for about an hour tonight. Turns out those power steering bracket bolts are super easy to get to once the alt is out of the way. Now I just need to find how to do the timing chain and exactly what parts I need/should change while I'm in there doing the gaskets.

So the gaskets aren't blown out like the pictures I've seen but I did find 3 screws that weren't tight at all and some others that broke free really easy. Should have a put a oil pressure gauge on it.... oh well

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I found a couple deals too good to pass up. Found 3 used forged pistons for $68 they are the same as what I have so I just need 1 to be good and Ill have a forged bottom again. Probably put it all in a y7 block I have. Ill do motor work towards the end.

Also talked to 2jz about a harness and I think he is starting to make one.. I hope. lol I plan on getting a hold of him again on the next paycheck to hopefully put some money down on it.

I found this guy installed but never used on a local forum so I had to get it.

DD display

Race display

Just need the fuel sender converter and now I need to figure out how to make it look nice in the car.

Hopefully something like this.
https://www.facebook.com/NepTuneEngineManagement/photos/a.233688140009561.67954.233677033344005/233688200009555/?type=3&theater

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope all the beginer spots were gone by the time it opened up for everyone else. Still plan in getting the car done for the event.

·
Registered
129 Posts
keep an eye open, spots always go up for sale, especially beginners. the WMHM facebook page is probably the place I've seen em most the last few years.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
keep an eye open, spots always go up for sale, especially beginners. the WMHM facebook page is probably the place I've seen em most the last few years.
Thats the plan and if I cant race I will be there to watch. Maybe try to talk my way into riding with someone. lol

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
always bring the brain bucket....
Yes! If I have some money I need to buy a new one. Bought a really nice Bell RS-1 and after seasons of riding its falling apart. Kinda irritating that at 400 plus dollars it cant even make it more than a couple years.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts