Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring up the D16y8 in my 95 civic tomorrow. Question is if i use the original y7 harness i had before i installed the engine i know there will be extra sensors and plugs that don't fit should i worry about them?

If i use the y8 harness i know it will all plug in but will i run into an issue trying to plug it into the fusebox and if so should i just splice the plugs from the y7 harness onto the y8 so it will fit the fusebox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what i found while researching which is why i asked in the other post

The Y8 is plug and play with the OBD1 engine harness, except for the distributor. (you can use an OBD1 dizzy from a 1.5L on the y8 head though, so you won't have to do any splicing) There will be a couple extra sensors on the y8 engine that OBD1 does not use (like the knock sensor) just ignore them and don't try to plug anything into them. If you try to install the entire OBD2 ECU & engine & cabin harness into your car, you'll run into the fuse box issue

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
If the y7 harness is obd2 it will not work same thing with the y8 harness.... use the stock harness from the car

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
use the dx obd 1 dizzy with the obd1 ex or dx (vtec needs to be wired) harness will work, make sure to use obd1 injectors

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
use the dx obd 1 dizzy with the obd1 ex or dx (vtec needs to be wired) harness will work, make sure to use obd1 injectors
dont for get the obd-1 alternator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah originally i had a d16y7 in my 95 civic dx then the engine blew so i got a d16y8 from my friend (complete swap). Another stupid question why use the obd-1 alternator? Why not use the one thats already attached to the d16y8?

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
what ecu do you have in there?
or better yet, what ecu are you going to run now?
what fuel injectors are you going to run? OBD2 or OBD1?
Dizzy is OBD2 or OBD1?

just get yourself a D16z6 engine harness if you're going to be all OBD1. You don't need a working Knock Sensor if you use a p28 ecu :TU:

y7 engine harness has a 3-wire AICV and the y8 has a 2-wire AICV so you will need to convert that of the bat.

to me, getting a D16z6 engine harness would be better and easier...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a y7 harness that came with the original d16y7 engine that was in the car. When i bought the y8 i got the y8 harness with it. I still have my y7 injectors so i will be switching them to the engine. Already switched the dizzy to an ODB1 and got a p28 tonight to run Vtec

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
its probably not a y7 harness it probably the obd1 d15 harness that come from factory...you can use that harness just might have to wire in for vtec,just use the injectors and alt from the y7 and put them on the y8...post pics of your y7 harness..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Much appreciated guys. Last questions. I know there's a plug that sticks out of the tranny that came with the engine that doesn't plug into the harness do i need to worry about plugging it in and i know there are other plugs left over that don't plug into the new engine should i worry about those too?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
the tranny plug is for the reverse lights if its 5 speed....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm so its probably best that i do go ahead and switch them out because i still have everything from the last motor and tranny. Well i think that was all my questions unless someone can predict anymore problems i might run into or have advice for me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
the only other thing i can think of is make sure you use the right plug for the iacv....it should be the one with the map and tps wires

1 - 20 of 23 Posts