Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 accord ex/ 98 ek
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I just purchased a 97 hatch. Its just a shell. With a y7 harness ( I guess it makes sense since its a dx)
I have a complete y7 engine, 5 so transmission. Enginw harness and ecu ( obd2a) that I can use. But I also have a complete d16y8 engine + transmission. with harness and ecu from a 5sp 2000 civic ( obd2b). I know I can't use the the harness and according to Rywire there is not an adaptor.
I would like to use the y8 since it has less mileage and a better manifold. But can I use the harness from a 97 ex and the ecu on my car? I mean the engine and transmission should be the same from 96 to 00 right?
I'm if I'm making any sense lol.
So pretty much what I need to know is if I can use the engine( d16y8) with an engine harness from a 96-98 ex along with the ecu in my 97 dx

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
You can use the y7 harness as long as its from the same year as the chassis. You will need to wire in vtec and maybe some other things I can't remember. You can use the dx Ecu but vtec and the tune on it will be off.

·
Registered
99 accord ex/ 98 ek
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks slo_eg8.

·
Registered
99 accord ex/ 98 ek
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But I didn't want to wire anything that's why I I was go I f to change the harness and the ecu. I work in a junk yard and I can also get an ECU and harness from a y5 lol.
I will be happy with a y8 IM swap in my Y7 but no can NEVER get that combo to idle right. AND IVE TRIED 3 TIMES in 3 different cars

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
But I didn't want to wire anything that's why I I was go I f to change the harness and the ecu. I work in a junk yard and I can also get an ECU and harness from a y5 lol.
If you work at a junk yard and can get your hands on a 96-98 engine harness and Ecu from a y8 that's is your best bet. Plug and play.

·
Registered
99 accord ex/ 98 ek
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet thanks man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts