Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have been looking all over the Internet for these answers and I think I have found the place to get them answered. Big thanks in advance for any or all the help.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX and the head gasket blew. I bought a used Japanese motor (D17a) to swap in. The swap was simple (I know my way around). I am using my original LX wiring harness, and I bought a Civic EX ECU. I need some help locating where some extra wires go.

Does anyone have a Wire Harness Diagram?

VTEC Solenoid - 1 wire
- Green (main color) / Yellow (line) - Connector B, Pin 15

VTEC Oil pressure switch - 2 wires
- Blue (main color) / Black (line) - Connector B, Pin 9
- Brown (main color) / Yellow (line) - HELP

EGR Valve - 5 wires
- white (main color) / Black (line) - Connector A, Pin 13
- Blue (main color) / Red (line) - Connector B, Pin 14
- Black - HELP (figure this one is a ground, can I just connect it to the block?)
- Green (main color) / Yellow (line) - HELP
- Yellow (main color) / Blue (line) - HELP

I have found the wiring harness for my civic (I think). It answers some of the questions but not all of them.

2001-2003 Honda Civic ECU Wiring

Connector A (31 Pins)
1-blk/wht-Primary O2 sensor heater control
2-yel/blk-Power Source
3-yel/blk-Power source
4-blk-Power ground
5-blk-Power ground
6-wht-Primary O2 sensor
7-blu-Crankshaft position
8-yel-Sensor return volt
9-red/blu-Knock sensor
10-grn/yel-Sensor ground
11-grn/wht-Sensor ground
12-blk/red-Idle air control valve
13-wht/blk-EGR Valve position VTEC ONLY
14-blk/wht-Secondary O2 sensor heater control
15-red/blk-Throttle position sensor
18-wht/grn-Vehicle speed sensor
19-grn/red-MAP Sensor
20-yel/blu-Sensor Voltage Supply
21-yel/red-Sensor Voltage Supply
23-brn/yel-Logic ground
24-brn/yel-logic ground
25-wht/red-Secondary O2 Sensor
26-grn-Top dead center sensor
27-brn-Igniton coil 4
28-wht/blu-coil 3
29-blu/red-coil 2
30-yel/grn-coil 1

Connector B (24 Pins)
2-yel-Fuel injector 4
3-blu-Injector 3
4-red-Injector 2
5-brn-Injector 1
6-grn-Radiator fan control
7-red/blk-A/T Pressure control solenoid valve A
8-red/wht-Engine Coolant sensor
9-blu/blk-VTEC Oil pressure switch VTEC ONLY
10-wht/blu-Alternator L Signal
13-wht/red-Alternator FR Signal
14-blu/red-EGR Valve VTEC ONLY
15-grn/yel-VTEC Solenoid valve
16-blk/red-A/T Pressure control solenoid valve B
17-red/yel-Intake air temp sensor
18-wht/grn-Alternator control
21-yel/blu-EVAP Canistor purge valve

Connector C (22 Pins)– AUTO TRANSMISSION ONLY
1-wht/blk-A/T Pressure control solenoid valve A
2-yel/blu-Torque converter clutch solenoid
4-grn/wht-Shift solenoid B
6-blu/blk-Shift Solenoid A
7-wht/red-Mainshaft speed sensor
8-brn/wht-A/T Pressure control solenoid valve B
9-red-Position switch D3
10-wht-position switch R
11-blu-position switch 2
12-blu/wht-position switch neutral or park
14-grn-countershaft speed sensor ground
15-blu-countershaft speed sensor
18-blu/yel-position switch D3 or D
20-yel-position switch D
21-wht/grn-mainshaft speed sensor ground

Connector E (31 pins)
1-grn/yel-Immobilizer fuel pump relay
2-wht/red-Secondary O2 Sensor EX Only
3-brn/yel-Logic ground
4-pnk-Sensor ground
5-yel/blu-Sensor voltage source
6-blk/wht-Secondary O2 sensor heater control EX Only
7-red/yel-PGM-FI main relay 1
9-yel/blk-Ignition input signal
12-blu/orn-Cruise control signal
13-wht/blu-Interlock control unit
14-lt grn-Fuel tank pressure sensor
15-grn/red-Electrical load detector
16-lt grn/blk-Power steering pressure switch
18-red-A/C Clutch
20-blu/red-EVAP bypass solenoid valve
21-lt grn/red-EVAP Canister shut valve
22-wht/blk-Brake pedal position switch
23-lt blu-K line
24-yel-Multiplex control unit comm line
26-blu-Engine speed pulse
27-red/blu-Immobilizer code
29-brn-Service check signal
30-red/wht-Write enable signal
31-grn/orn-MIL or check engine light enable

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,946 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what I remember, the EGR control valve and lift sensor are both integrated in your EGR valve.
On 96-00 Civics that's normally 2 seperate valves. The control valve (2-wire) has one wire going to the ECU (red - in your case it should be the red/blu one) and one to ground (blk).
The EGR valve itself (vacuum controlled by the control valve) has only the lift sensor (3-wire) included. One of the wires goes straight to the ECU (wht/blk), another one is hooked up to SG2 (..I think.. it should be grn/blk on 96-00 Civics - in your case I'm guessing grn/yel from the pinout and plug) and the third one is hooked up to sensor/reference voltage (5V or something, should be the yel/blu one).

You have to either solder some wire with pins on and then pin them into a junction connector (96-00 Civics have two of those right under the intake manifold) to the right junction or remove the insulation on one of those wires and solder the loose ones onto them.

BTW: Why the heck don't my posts on the noob forum get counted? I need to make a WTB thread on the classifieds forum, but I can't seem to reach the required post count. It's not as if I was just posting bullshit here on the noob forum. This needs to be improved - urgently. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
BTW: Why the heck don't my posts on the noob forum get counted? I need to make a WTB thread on the classifieds forum, but I can't seem to reach the required post count. It's not as if I was just posting bullshit here on the noob forum. This needs to be improved - urgently. :(
I and many others went through all this not long after joining.

If your posts are responses on noob and entertainment threads, they simply don't count. This stops people posting gibberish just to get the required count to sell things. I didn't - and still don't - understand why the WTB is similarly penalised. After all, you could be helping a long-term member.

The way to get your count up is to help out in threads in the techie forums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
question, why not just throw the old head on the new block? or repair the head gasket?
@slo_eg8 Because then I wouldn't have VTEC

Thanks for the links. I read through the first one before I even posted. It's what informed me that this is the place that I could figure out the answer. That's a great image also. I'll read through the other two links.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I remember, the EGR control valve and lift sensor are both integrated in your EGR valve.
On 96-00 Civics that's normally 2 seperate valves. The control valve (2-wire) has one wire going to the ECU (red - in your case it should be the red/blu one) and one to ground (blk).
The EGR valve itself (vacuum controlled by the control valve) has only the lift sensor (3-wire) included. One of the wires goes straight to the ECU (wht/blk), another one is hooked up to SG2 (..I think.. it should be grn/blk on 96-00 Civics - in your case I'm guessing grn/yel from the pinout and plug) and the third one is hooked up to sensor/reference voltage (5V or something, should be the yel/blu one).
@Blues so what I get from this is. EGR Valve is actually two different valves (1) control valve (2) EGR valve

Control Valve: 2 wires
- Blue (main color) / Red (line) - Connector B, Pin 14 (EGR Valve VTEC ONLY)
- Black - Ground (can I connect this to the block?)

EGR Valve: 3 wires
- white (main color) / Black (line) - Connector A, Pin 13 (EGR Valve position VTEC ONLY)
- Green (main color) / Yellow (line) - Connector A, Pin 10 – Sensor Ground
- Yellow (main color) / Blue (line) - Connector A, Pin 20 – Sensor Voltage Supply

Is that correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

- Brown (main color) / Yellow (line) - HELP
All the Brown/Yellow wires are logic grounds. Is it as simple as finding the one that is empty and plugging it in? Can I just plug it into any logic ground or does it need to be a specific one?

- don't quite understand logic grounds - I just know they are shielded

·
3,946 Posts
@slo_eg8 Because then I wouldn't have VTEC

Thanks for the links. I read through the first one before I even posted. It's what informed me that this is the place that I could figure out the answer. That's a great image also. I'll read through the other two links.
meh, vtec isn't as cracked up as people make it out to be.

maybe pm 2jzdreamin, he is the wiring guru on this site.

and sorry boys, shit gets moved to the correct areas to take away from cluttering up the wrong sections with easy shit. check your reps, I made a comment that might help. batsloman is an asshole, we all know this. he does asshole shit because, well, he can ;):single fuck:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Before, it would be 2 valves. One control valve which is passing through or shutting off the vacuum for the vacuum-controlled diaphragm valve which is the EGR valve on top of the intake manifold in 92-00 civics equipped with EGR. The plug on the second valve is the lift sensor only.

In yours I presume they just included the first valve (which is controlling the vacuum going to the diaphragm) into the second one to make it one piece (according to the 96-00 shop manual even some older models already seemed to have the same design as yours). Thus, there's two wires for controlling the valve (enabling / shutting off vacuum to the diaphragm) and still three for the lift sensor.

You "could" bolt down the ground cable to your block, but I'd rather look for a junction connector connecting multiple ground cables and just pin it in. As I said, the 96-00 Civics do have these right under the intake manifold. I don't know about tha later models, so you might as well start your seach there. If you can't find any suitable junction connector filled with ground cables, then put an O-shaped terminal (or whatever the correct term is in English) on the end and bolt it down to the block. But in my opinion that's not the correct way IF you have any "ground junction connectors" with unused terminals.

Also, I see no reason why this would be a noob question.. not even a pro would always know the exact functionality and connections of the EGR by heart (I happen to remember such things real fast and real exact if I had something to do with it earlier though). I've also been doing this stuff for about 8 years now, but mostly in German forums. Not even I would consider this a noob question although I'm kind of "the one" they usually ask about wiring there.
After all, how would the ECU pinouts in your answer help with the other three wires? The two that it would be helpful with he had already figured out by himself (he even posted the pinout here and marked them).
How am I supposed to get my post count up for the WTB classifieds if absolutely everything is just moved to the noob forum?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I see no reason why this would be a noob question..
I also don't feel this is a noob question. Im guessing that these questions get moved to the n00b forum because I'm ranked a "noob".

Anyways, Thanks for all the answers. I will hook up the wires this weekend and let everyone how it goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
But before you do that, check a 01-05 Civic shop manual to be sure. If you can get one, I don't know if they're available online.

Btw. the VTEC oil pressure plug's wires run to the ECU as you figured out for the first one and the other one to ground. At least on 92-00 engines. Just add that to a ground junction connector, if you have one. Else, same thing like the EGR's ground wire. If you don't happen to have a junction connector you can run it to, just bolt it to the block or chassis with an O-shaped cable lug. Though it prevents corrosion and stuff when you use a junction connector and those pins with rubber seals from a spare harness or something, that's how I would do it.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I'm not sure what you need help with.

Is that single wire vtec plug the right plug? I think Honda changed it to a 2 wire plug but not 100% sure when.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@2jzdreamin - Thanks for taking a look.

I'm not sure what you need help with.
I need some help understanding where to plug the extra 3 wires into the ECU.

- Brown (main color) / Yellow (line) - ???

EGR Valve - 5 wires
- Green (main color) / Yellow (line) - ???
- Yellow (main color) / Blue (line) - ???

Is that single wire vtec plug the right plug? I think Honda changed it to a 2 wire plug but not 100% sure when.
The motor I bought came with that one wire VTEC Solenoid. I am assuming its correct as it was the one on the motor when I got it. There was also the cut wiring loom that had the plug you see above.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The vtec oil pressure switch looks like it goes to b9 and the other wire goes to ground.

As for the egr I'm not sure. I think it's

Blue/red to b14

White/black to a13

Green/yellow to a10

Yellow/blue to a20

Black to ground.

I'm not 100% sure on the egr pinout.

·
3,946 Posts
blues, even though you've bitched because you cant whore out your post count, I moved the thread AGAIN to assist you in your quest for the fabled "wtb" section. sure doesn't sound like batsloman to let someone get their way without a little bit of friction, so here, enjoy your period

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I forgot to say that wire colors and position in the plugs maybe different. That's is the hard part to figure out what position in the plug goes to what.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Car didn't start.
I adding the wires to the harness, and I found two spots where there were wires already in the harness. (same colors as called out)

- Green/Yellow - Connector A, Pin 10 – Sensor Ground
- Yellow/Blue - Connector A, Pin 20 – Sensor Voltage Supply

After adding the wires, and leaving the two above unplugged I attempted to start the car. It just turned over but never started. I did some more troubleshooting on the motor and couldn't find any issues.

That night I recalled something about the ECU needing to match the Key. So the next day I plugged in the old ECU and the car started right up, first try. I drove it around a bit on Sunday, and I drove it to work today. The car is running great, just without VTEC.

This makes me worried that there might be a differents in the pinouts between a non-VTEC and VTEC.

Does anyone know anything about the key linking to the ECU, bluetooth, wifi, chip, whatever?

If I drive a VTEC motor with my standard non-VTEC ECU will this damage the motor in any way?

·
3,946 Posts
its the immobilizer. call the dealer and ask what they can do. they may be able to reprogram it

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
its the immobilizer. call the dealer and ask what they can do. they may be able to reprogram it
This^^^^. The pinout is the same for vtec and non vtec Ecu.they just leave the vtec wiring out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts