Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my B/G cisco/linksys its still going strong but Now looking for more speed.

All my devices are either N or AC band (besides my PS3) and Ive looked at Asus, Netgear, and a few others..

I ordered one brand already and after 6 hours of trying to pull an IP addy, I gave up and got an RMA for return.

So what Im looking for is a dual band N/AC under or around 80 bucks. Easy set up. and longevity.

Ive read hundreds of reviews this past week and it seems netgear has the worst ratings. Alot of people say to wait until the next version of a particular router comes out as brand new products has bugs to be worked out.

I guess thats why the old B/G routers are hard to kill.

Im only getting 40down and 5up with my ISP. which is plenty fast for my needs. I might use a powerline hardwire for the PS3 for quicker response in the future. The N/AC 5ghz will be the primary.

SO if you guys have some input on a decent budget friendly router, just post up.

thanks DSO people!

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Tagged, as its time to replace my netgear router after 4 years of hard labor lol.

BTW I am running a Netgear router and only recently started having problems with it

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive used dlink 24 port switches and poe switches for clients where they dont want to spend much. But i have also replaced their dlink wireless routers in the past. So i never really looked to them as a decent router.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
I have the ASUS RT-N66R. I honestly don't know how good it is lol. All I know is my last one was giving me issues when I would game, so far no issues with this one lol.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked the the N66R and it was a touch out of my price range..

marginal reviews too

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Based on my experience a dual band ac router is going to be your best bet wirelessly. But your devices also need to support the speeds as well. I would also recommend running either cat5 or cat6 wiring direct if you can. Hardline will always be the best connection. Wireless can be really intermittent if there is outside interference running in the same frequency bands. I know that the 2.4 ghz networks are more prone to having speed issues. I run into this all the time at Comcast. Of course people always say it's us when I show them that they are getting the speeds they pay for. Sometimes your computer is processing at say 8 mbps even though you are paying for 50mbps.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I fucking hate Comcast and everything about it.

I use a Netgear N600 Router/modem, it does it's job better than the ISP.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty.. heres an update..

The TP Link router I tried 1st. Had the same set up software as the other one that I spent 6 hrs trying to pull an IP.

So guesws what, went thru the same routine and sure enough, this one doesnt get an IP either. Both of these routers with this software says i have a Static IP.

Busted open the NetGear Re-furb, went thru the set up wizard and whatta ya know.. it works.

The AC band is blazing fast. I went to the random pic thread and loaded instantly!

Went to the VIP and those threads loaded instantly! So not too bad for 60 bucks.

Now we'll see how long it lasts...

Oh yea, since its a refurb, they used a sharpie on the serial # to black it out. Well IDK if most of you know, but RAIN-X will remove permanent marker. I use rain X on the job in Telecom when people write on patch panels and such.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
hows that powerline setup work for you? I might do one of those to get a wireless router in my garage since my fios wireless router (which is kinda garbage) doesn't reach

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didnt buy one yet as the PS3 hasnt shown any issues with the wireless.

I have used them for clients where its cheaper to use the adapter then to run a wired line. They work just as good as being plugged in the switch. U just have to make sure you get a decent one that wont bottleneck the packet flow

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I run a tp link tl-wr1043nd v2 with dd-wrt firmware and it seems pretty good. I think it's only n band but it's like 300mbps capable with up to 450 max, it's amazing how much dd-wrt does for a cheap router.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Ya tp link makes great equipment. Their PowerLine adapters have great reviews.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i couldnt pull an IP from the TP link..

on another note..

The netgear Im using works great on the 5ghz band, but the B/G 2.4 drops out continuously.

I might just have to buy a $100+ router and call it a day

Maybe the Asus 66

1 - 18 of 18 Posts