Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
That Dorman part specifies GM products

Is the australian ebay pretty limited in whats available?

Seems whenever I watch a MCM video, they hit a salvage yard up for parts here and there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
That Dorman part specifies GM products
I got the Dorman name from a retailer who sells complete arm kits, so then searched out Dorman and wrote them an email explaining the situation with reference to make and model.

Ebay Aus can be a bit trickey, searches may or may not be as wide, so a bit of digging eventually and hopefully get somewhere.
What I dread is that Dorman may say No, we only sell in bulk to retailers, and the retailer will probably say, we only sell complete arm kits.

If that is the case, then I am sure here in Oz we kick ass and make our own !

The rare spares here can be a bit of a money pit, like those who lose sleep cos it is not original OEM , well, so what ? The better quality will prevail.

From what I have just learnt, this 3D printer idea may solve lots of things, one way or the other, we get our cars happening and safely on the road.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Think tank

This repair has not yet been resolved, in the making are those dome caps, using the 3D printer method, trial and error continues...

BUT, we tend to improvise while there is nothing to do.

And, I was thinking, only thinking OK ?

Some "elective surgery" on the wiper arm mechanisms to replace the Dome cap OEM method.

Earlier in this thread I posted the idea of a swivel bearing. It ( the thought processes, while watching football and raining cats n dogs outside ) then ventured to the tied-rod end ideas, then onto swivel bearing with male threaded, but this would be noisy, so plastics type of the same. This will reduce noise.
Googled and found this :
https://www.igus.com/product/150

The surgery of couse would have to be to cut the ends off the arms, secure a bolt on the tube of the arm, and wind in the Rod end bearing with male thread and spherical ball. The threaed part would used to fine tune length.

If this was to become an option, I will only have one shot at it, and has to be right the first time. Like ya last bullet and life or death mattered, to lose would mean one of my ED's will never have wipers back to the OEM .

Thoughts anyone ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wipers working.
Used new dome caps, kept cracking.
So I came up with another solution, "fix" using a plastic tube that fits over ball-swivel on motor arm, yet the wiper arm part fits tightly on the OD of the plastic tube. Plenty of grease, and the dome cap fits at the end of the tube to cover the grease.
So it's basically a dome extended, home made so to have wipers working on daily during the rainy season.
Had to think of something beyond OEM, or after market, safety comes first over cosmetics and "properly done".

One for the bush mechanics !

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts