Honda D Series Forum banner

WIP: HID & angel eyes

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  makku 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Well, few days ago finally received my HID kit!
E55 DOT projectors, Hella ballasts (3rd gen) and Phillips D2S bulbs 4100K.

Already tested how to open lamps by 'baking' them :) and for that purpose used one broken lamp.
Also tested to see how will projectors fit into housing.
Yesterday tried making custom angel eyes... well, they don't look so sweet yet, cause I did them fast (not evenly bent, wrong diameter, etc) - just to see if it'll work.

Anyway, here are first test results... remember, this is only for test. For 'real thing' I'll make all from scratch :)

Pics:

PS: Still waiting for some other stuff before starting on my lamps that I'll use... hopefully all will be done within 2-3 weeks!

See less See more
#2 ·
i read the DIY for this mod, but i still dont understand how you hook up the lights

do you screw an LED into both ends of the tube? ie drill a hole and then plug them in

or do you just put them next to it?

can u do a super close up pic of the end points of the tube? thanks

looks good btw!!

G
#3 ·
Well, the only rods I found here had 'hole' through them - exact size as LED!

First I tried to push them on both sides, but it wasnt well lit. So I filled it with water :) (if you have rod that aint got hole in middle no need for water - just drill hole on each end).

Btw, LED's are 1000mcd - and they are even good visible at daylight aswell (angel eyes)!

Here's a closeup from one pic: (as you can see it's stuck inside)

#4 ·
thanks for the pic!! wicked

now i all i need is round headlights... damn EJ civics... :)

i'm really diggin this whole angel eyes.

ohh and the "scratchees" are they just on the surface, like a slight grind? did u do them the whole 360* around the tube, or just on the "front" side?

#5 · (Edited)
it's basically a fiber optic cable you're making. The LED doesn't have to be "in" the ring. Just make sure the ends of the ring you are using are flat and smooth with no scratches so the max amount of light can enter. The LEDs should be positioned just at the ends of the ring and you can put some electrical tape around it so you don't see the LED when it's lit.

BTW, very creative with the water idea. You need a medium for the light to pass through without refracting. It would be better to have a solid tube. Fiber optics work by the light reflecting off the inside of the tubing until they reach the exit. So in practice you should NOT see the light until it reaches the exit. Cutting scratches in the tube will create exit points for the light by providing surfaces where it will refract instead of reflect.

G
#7 ·
7thGear, you make scratches only on one side - the back side (I used dremel tool to make 'em). Also, for two LED's.. there are two LED's for simple reason - more light & makes it more even on all ends.

makku - belive it or not.. I could find solid tube! That's why I used one with hole in middle and filled with water. Also, it's better to put LED's in tube - it's more secure there :)

Well, for next two & half weeks I'm gonna collect all stuff I need to get this rolin' and install 'em :) This weeked going at sea, next weekend going to track.. and weeked after that - it's install time!!!
I'll post more pics than - both of progress & finished.

#8 ·
what car is this btw? its not an EJ is it?

also do the LED's run off a battery? or did u get them hooked up to your entire lighting system?

chaning the battery once or twice a year inst exactly costly, but its not free either

#9 ·
i just thought of a problem you might have... when your HIDs heat up, they might get hot enough to cause condensation from the water in the rings. Even worse you might get a short. If that becomes a problem you could fill the tubes with a clear rubber epoxy or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.