Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are expecting to get hit much harder than expected this year.

I am cheap, so I looked for sub $100 tires

WEATHER-MASTER S/T2 - OnlineTires.com

EUROWINTER HS449 - OnlineTires.com

What do you guys think? Heard of either of these models? price looks good, and I have ordered from this website in past. week shipping or less, very fast.

Im open to other suggestions.

Of these two above, I am leaning towards the Cooper, as it looks far more "bitier" than the falken

EDIT found a few more

Goodyear
http://www.onlinetires.com/products...5%2F65-14+goodyear+ultra+grip+winter+86t.html

Blizzak
http://www.onlinetires.com/products...%2F65-14+bridgestone+blizzak+ws60+86r+bw.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
blizzaks are great tires. my mother ran them on her miata for a few years, ny snow storms and never got stucks.

she got a bunch of winters out of them. i actually still have them on aluminum rims. the miata is long gone.

thats the tire i would use.

stratton.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the model of blizzak tire i really want is not offered in my tire size.

do you happen to know which tire model she was running?

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
General tires are out of my list. Too many tire failures and warranties declined over the years. The worst having 5 holes show up on the sidewall at 70+mph in the Fit

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
i did winter rallycross + the most snow in new england on those goodyear ultragrips and was more than pleased. stud would obviously be better. if you can afford it, nokian hakka 8s are pretty much the best thing out there though

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I should narrow it down to the blizzaks or the goodyear.

Time to wait for my next paycheck. I can only do a pair at a time

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Head on over to tire buyer(affiliated with ATD tire), look at the Hercules winter tire options, about a year ago they purchased the old nokian molds for the winter tires, priced fairly reasonable.

I've personally been running firestone winterforces, blizzaks def work great, but I can't justify spending that much on them. I mean, I drive a honda......

Edit, it looks like tire buyer doesn't offer the Hercules on their website, there is the nitto nt sn2 which is also a great tire, when it comes time to replace my winterforces, I will be going with them next

·
Registered
Integra DB9, Accord Type R
432 Posts
Most of us in the UK don't bother with winter rubber.
But it's 4.30 in the morning and about 20 deg F right now, so we might be getting it wrong ...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Altimax Artics (that I WAS selling) will be going on the CRX very soon. Esp with trip to New England planned with in the next month.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Describe what kind of winter you have in your neck of the woods.

Out of the ones you looked at, this is how I interpret the ideal conditions based on tire design.
Cooper = Fresh powder conditions, like top of a ski hill (just below freezing temps)
Goodyear = Wet, slushy conditions. Major focus on water evacuation (fluctuating above and below freezing)
Falken + Blizzak = Compacted snow, relatively maintained roads (way below freezing)

I believe the Falken is a retired Blizzak design.

V-patterns tend to be good at clearing water + slush.
Grid patterns dig into softer snow better, while more siping helps grab the compacted snow.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wisconsin tends to get a mixture of all types (im on central western edge, the "throat" of the indian head)

That does help a bit. I can drive through wet conditions just fine. Im more worried about cornering on highways and starting/stopping at intersections

FAR too many idiots in my town. big portion is elderly, big portion is college kids , generally from out of the area, so every winter is the joy of avoiding other less experienced drivers, or distracted drivers thinking a text or phone call is more important than avoiding traffic

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Snow tires in cold and wet are AMAZBALLS! Cornering like you were on summer tires once the sidewall takes a set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the type of info I'm also searching for. If there are any more it would be greatly appreciated.
My location is Southern Indiana. Where lately we goes from 60f to below 30s overnight. So it's hard to find the correct winter tires. We get slush, compact, light coating. Its all over the place.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
General Altimax Artic and done. Nokian copys.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Has anybody tried Kenda before?
I'm getting a great deal, but would like to know more about its performance.
Kenda doesn't really have a market in the US. I think some of the semi-pro and known amateur drifters have been running their tires, but that's about it.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Lets look at the propaganda from the "TIRE INDUSTRY" for your safety.

New tires mounted on the Front Myth
The worn rear tires have less tread and lower hydroplaning resistance. They can lose their grip on wet roads, causing the rear end of the vehicle to swing around out of control.

Fact:
Always put the best tread on the front for better traction, braking and steering.

The good tread on the front will push water away from the rear tires and the rear tires dont have to worry about hydroplaning.

New tires mounted on the Rear Myth
Deeper tread with greater hydroplaning resistance helps new tires grip wet roads. The driver can steer to compensate for the lower wet traction of the worn front tires and safely maintain control.

according to this chart, you need the best tread on the front. for better braking.

Most braking occurs with the front brakes.

Now why would the "Tire industry" want you to put worn tires on the front "For Your Safety"

They came up with this propaganda to increase your tire wear to sell you tires more often.

The facts are right here:

Tire Tread Depth - Discount Tire Direct

New Tire Mounting - Discount Tire Direct

Do the math people..

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Lets look at the propaganda from the "TIRE INDUSTRY" for your safety.

New tires mounted on the Front Myth
The worn rear tires have less tread and lower hydroplaning resistance. They can lose their grip on wet roads, causing the rear end of the vehicle to swing around out of control.

Fact:
Always put the best tread on the front for better traction, braking and steering.

The good tread on the front will push water away from the rear tires and the rear tires dont have to worry about hydroplaning.

New tires mounted on the Rear Myth
Deeper tread with greater hydroplaning resistance helps new tires grip wet roads. The driver can steer to compensate for the lower wet traction of the worn front tires and safely maintain control.

according to this chart, you need the best tread on the front. for better braking.

Most braking occurs with the front brakes.

Now why would the "Tire industry" want you to put worn tires on the front "For Your Safety"

They came up with this propaganda to increase your tire wear to sell you tires more often.

The facts are right here:

Tire Tread Depth - Discount Tire Direct

New Tire Mounting - Discount Tire Direct

Do the math people..
I remember when I had to buy snow tires and I could only afford two. I told them to just put them on the front.

Sorry sir we can't do that ... we are required to put them on the rear.

'Scuse me what? You realize a civic is front wheel drive ... and I steer with those ... so they might need to grip right?

Well actually the car will perform better with them in the back so we have to put them there.

Fine whatever. What do you know I couldn't get up my driveway ... because the tires in the front couldn't get any purchase in the snow. And getting home like that was soooo much fun, yay sloppy steering. Switched them myself and the car was much better behaved.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Somehow understeer is considered safer than oversteer.

In a FWD car, oversteer is easily compensated for by turning into the slide and applying throttle. Conversely, understeer is more difficult to compensate for as the vehicle and tires have to slow enough and have less steering angle to regain traction.

One requires subtlety and the other requires a more brute force approach. Guess which approach the average driver is more inclined to do, further, the situation that calls for that inclination is exacerbated by said inclination.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts