Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done this ? thinking of putting a mist spray nozzle on the end of the hose and route it to the front of my intercooler . i will have to buy a new tank and pump since mine are not existant . Any idea on the gains ?

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
hmm id rather do a small fan behind the IC, because i did the thing with the winshield wiper sprayer on the IC and i didint really notice anything puls the water ran out really quick for me but then again my IC only works like a heat sink here in az

·
Registered
602 Posts
T tought of doing it with a spare n20 bottle and a brdided steel line connected to a peice of brakeline with tiny holes drilled on it. You'd just open the bottle for a bit before the run.

C

·
0 Posts
if you have a nice front mount, there is no poitn to doign this at all.

even on really hot days, my intercooler is always cool at the cold side outlet.

S

·
0 Posts
grayzee said:
You'll get WAY more cooling effect by spraying inside the charge pipe. Between the IC and the TB.

now correct me if im wrong, but would water spraying in your intake be a bad thing. cold air i can understand how thats good. water.... bad.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
It also effectively increases you octane rating allowing you to run more boost, more timing, and leaner AFR's.

Why do we run rich in boost? Because the extra fuel acts to cool the intake charge, however if we replace the extra gasoline with water to cool it we dont need to waste gas by running rich.

·
Registered
345 Posts
a friend datalogged his IM temps before and after using a IC water sprayer setup. He noted a several degree drop in temp.... but hardly worth the effort. A nice IC will own a crappy IC and water all day long.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
BlackMoon said:
anyone done this ? thinking of putting a mist spray nozzle on the end of the hose and route it to the front of my intercooler . i will have to buy a new tank and pump since mine are not existant . Any idea on the gains ?
there was a website that did a test on this, using a heat gun, a fan, and a spray bottle. they used a lazer temp meter and recorded temps at the outlet of the IC with the heatgun blowing in the inlet. even with spraying water and a fan on it, the temps were no different between just air and air+water.

i wish i could find the link...

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic Coupe
122 Posts
i don't think IC sprayers are worth the effort. Why? because there is minimal HP gains and besides the track won't let you use it anyways

·
Registered
370 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
It also effectively increases you octane rating allowing you to run more boost, more timing, and leaner AFR's.

Why do we run rich in boost? Because the extra fuel acts to cool the intake charge, however if we replace the extra gasoline with water to cool it we dont need to waste gas by running rich.

Yeah, water won't increase your octane but alchohol will. That is why I use
-40 rated washer fluid. I have run that setup with a wideband 02 sensor and watched the af ratios spike nice and rich when the spray kicks in. I could even notice the car pull harder when the spray kicked in if I got on the boost slow enough to be able to notice. Probably just because of the cooler intake charge. If you really want to spray the intercooler I would just some sort of compressed gas (like nitrogen) A blast of that should soak up alot of heat!

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I said "effectively" meaning not actually, but having the same effect as increasing the octane rating. What the water does is slow down the rate at which the fuel mixture burns. le chatelier's principle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It might not be super effective, but if you have a hatch with a rear wiper, you could intercept the pump line for the rear and run it to a garden mister in front of the intercooler. This way, if it isn't worth it, you won't be out a whole lot of effort. Also, you only have to buy a couple of garden misters and maybe a small length of tubing as the switch, pump, and reservoir are already existing.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Someone should install one of those electric refridgerators. They come in coolers where one side gets hot and the other side gets cold. You could make an intercooler out of those and just vent the hot side out to a hood vent or something. :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
YES! that's what they're called... i actually didn't know the name, but i looked it up and yes, that's what i'm describing :)

·
Registered
05 Wrx
167 Posts
I like the water injection idea the best. The intercooler would have to get pretty hot for an intercooler to be effective. It would actually have to be hot enough to cause the water to evaporate to have the greatest effect. Nitrous oxide sprayers have alot more gains due to the temp difference. But then again nitrous injection is even more effective at cooling intake temps. Personally I like the alcohol/water injection idea the best. Too much water can be a very bad thing. If not all the water evaporates the excess washes past the piston rings. Alcohol helps to offset this by increasing burn and it also has the added effect of increasing octane.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts