Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
the R-X :)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:3dtard: I was wondering if anyone has tried using turbo Edit with Windows 8.
My old XP machine died and I now have a new Windows 8 PC.

Any direction here is welcomed...

Thx

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Since u said any direction is welcomed u might wanna try posting in the right sub forum...that's where I'd start at least!

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Run a XP VM...

TE was a PITA to get working in 7 and I still can't pull a tune off ostrich with it. 8 is probably no different or worse than 7 is.

You could also try posting on PGMFI.org

·
Registered
the R-X :)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
preludepatrick,
I had read that Win7 was that way with TE. Haven't seen anything recent on it though.
I will go to PGMFI and post there to see if anyone has anything more on the subject.
Meanwhile, I guess an attempt to resurect a 10 year old laptop....

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
TE Works fine on 7...but you have to play around with ECUControl and ExtraTables to get them to load correctly without ActiveX errors.

I'm also unable to GET a tune from Ostrich within TE. I can send a tune just fine and use EmUtility to verify that the tune was loaded correctly...I can also pull the tune off Ostrich with it. For some reason though, I try to pull the tune from Ostrich after discounting from the emulator in TE and it says it's not a TurboEdit compatible ROM, even though EmUtility says it's fine.

Anyway, give it a shot, see how it goes. Run a XP VM if you have to

·
Registered
129 Posts
my brother and I have used his new windows7 laptop to run turboedit. He did have to do SOMETHING though....like, code wise.... It was a while back though.

hey look, I'm not much help.,I'll see if he remembers

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
984 Posts
as preludepatrick said earlier.

just run a virtual machine of xp. do your best to keep the virtual machine off the internet as everyone should know about XPs demise lol.

download this software from here
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

you then can install windows xp into that virtual machine. to install you will need a xp disc if you still have the one from your old pc that should work. if you dont have one you can download one online.
its not illegal to download the operating system its just the product key that you are paying for but you already have one on your old laptop that you can use.

if you need help finding a download for windows xp just pm me i can help. or if you need help setting up the virtual machine i can help with that as well.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
even though I run windows 7 I love XP. I used a laptop with windows 8.1 and I didn't like it at all. it was like a wanna be tablet...

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
I got TE to work with 7 but I can't pull ROMs from my ostrich. I can use EMutility to pull and verify the ROM though. Never had problems with XP

Need to find an older lenovo laptop with a COM port

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
I'm sure you can find an older laptop real cheap. Hit up pawn shops and craiglist. You should look into what drivers are available for your laptop on manufacturer site. If 7 drivers are available just downgrade.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts