Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, when I bought my civic it had this ugly purple tint on the windows. My boyfriend decided that he wanted to try to take the tint off. On his focus fanitics site, he read about using a black plastic bag and windex. The only thing with that was, he used a white one, due to the fact he couldn't find a black one. Now I'm stuck with a back window I can't see out of. I work in a hardware store so I know a lot about getting glue off things. The only problem is, I don't want to put anything on the back window that might hurt it. I was thinking about using googone or right stuff.
Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
Okay, when I bought my civic it had this ugly purple tint on the windows. My boyfriend decided that he wanted to try to take the tint off. On his focus fanitics site, he read about using a black plastic bag and windex. The only thing with that was, he used a white one, due to the fact he couldn't find a black one. Now I'm stuck with a back window I can't see out of. I work in a hardware store so I know a lot about getting glue off things. The only problem is, I don't want to put anything on the back window that might hurt it. I was thinking about using googone or right stuff.
Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

DITCH THE TINT! end of story lol

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
spray starting fluid on it, and use a single edge blade. works wonders. Goo gone will not work
yeah like a rubbin achol w/e that spell

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
spray starting fluid on it, and use a single edge blade. works wonders. Goo gone will not work

+1 i got my honda from a dealership and my windows where purple i used warm soapy water and a single edge blad it worked ok, but then i read somewhere on google that starting fluid just eats that sticky shit right up it does work wonders pull the tint and go to a shop get it done for like 160 and call it a day. if you was near springfield ohio there is a shop that does it for like 50 bucks life time guarntee

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the rear glass is always the hardest because of the defrost lines.

the way i did it back in the day at the junk yard was just peel off the old tint, and use a razor blade and brake clean to remove the glue.

then i would test the lines, find the dead ones and repair them with the DIY shit you see at the hardware store.

its MUCH easier to do if u remove the glass :)

oh, and dont let focus boy touch your honda again. ;)

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Eh this shit reminds me of my "DIY" window tint from walmart. MISTAKE! hahaha I ended up scrapping it all off with a razor blade (took forever) even with soapy water and shit to take off tint with.
oh, and dont let focus boy touch your honda again.
I agree thats a must lol.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
i know this is not about the tint but is this the only girl on the fourm?
No, you are the only girl on THIS forum.

As for the tint. Why BLACK garbage bags? To absorb the heat. I personally use black garbage bags and Simple Green. Set it out in the sun for 30-40 minutes and wha-lah! Most times it comes off glue and all. What you're basically doing is steaming the old film off. If you already peeled the tint laminate off and have glue left over just some good ol scrubbies (no-scracth kind) and simple green. I would not use starter fluid, brake clean, goobegone or any other solution as these can STAIN. Not to mention they turn the tint glue into goo and it makes for a smudging smearing mess. For the really nasty PITA type glue I use a 1" razor blade and scrape the glue off between the defrosters (hold it at an angle duh). Then use a plastic razor on the defrosters. This will not do any damage if done right but rule #1 when removing or applying tint is...PATIENCE!!

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
LOL at the civiridin

but seriously... dont let anyone who drives a focus touch your car

if it were me i would use a razor blade and carb cleaner

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
If you wanna remove the tint, scrape it off...or try a blowdrier.

But a blade is your best tactic..

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
LOL at the civiridin

but seriously... dont let anyone who drives a focus touch your car

if it were me i would use a razor blade and carb cleaner
Carb cleaner on the windows? Aaagh then get that accidentally on the interior panels staining them for good!!

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD!!!!!

Take your time, use a new flat razor blade at an angle and pull up one corner of the tint. Get enough up to get ahold of it and pull it off as much as poss. If its real crappy tint, you might need to do this a few times if the piece rips off and you still have tint left on. Then use window cleaner sprayed on and the razor blade to remove the adhevsive left behind. Again using the razor blade at a angle to avoid damaging the glass.

******* If the rear window has rear defog strips, Id strongly suggest a pro do this window. As you can easily cut those strips making them not work and then you'd be out the rear window defog. noooo

Good luck. It will take some time. The tint glue will be like a jelly when you do it do this, and just keep up at it till its all removed. Don't rush it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol my focus boy also has a rex so he's not that bad. He was going for what Bizzar said to do, it just didn't work out the way he planned. Probably because he didn't use black bags. Now I'm stuck with the adhesive and like the very last layer of tint in some places. I can't really see out of it and it drives me nuts cos I love to use my rearview haha.

And just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't be on a Honda Forum :p

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
well since civics are a dime a dozen, rather than scrape old tint off your rear window, just replace it like i did. it cost a little more but it was WAY easier. grab a window from a part out/junk yard or just call your insurance company and tell them somebody put a rock through your back glass.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts