Honda D Series Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
I'm looking for something small, if only a NUC would be enough. Aleinware unit + Windows to Go on USB 3 drive, but that is getting too geeky.

This is what I've been using for past 3-4 years....

external PS like a NUC. Right now Diablo 3 is the most gaming I do. But Using Chrome browser and Facebook drags it down which even a bottom of the list quad core should be loads better.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Going through the installed programs, the OEM install was Win 64 bit Pro, so there are MANY "C++ redisturbtable" installs, 2005, 2008, 2013, etc as well as the Diablo 3 file is 31.7 GB, might be an issue there as well.

PS: While moving files around, my 1 TB Segate Expansion external started the death click about 10 minutes after getting Mom's photos off it. The two old Seagate Externals (NUC Size) are still trucking along!

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
well shit. do an itx build and run a 950 or 960 from nvidia

scratch together 900 and you could have a small system that performs well enough to hold you over for 4-5 years

I can do a build on pcparts website if you want

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
BUMP!!!!!

OK while the Win 10 exp. has been fine, I believe there are still issues with the old Win 7 files that might being used, slowing the slow as balls PC down even more.

I would like to nuke and pave and have a fresh install.

The Win7 original install came with a backup partiton, would that have been over written with Win 10 files as well?

I'v also heard of putting Win 10 ISO on a USB stick and doing fresh install from there.

Part of the issue is DirectX 12 that was part of the new IOS has the graphics drivers jacked up and I'n barely able to play Diablo 3 now. I am looking at buying/building a new PC, likely a low end quad core build. I was looking at this but the case is HUGE! and I don't have the room.

PowerSpec G312 Desktop Computer 819870 - Micro Center
from what i have read you can do a clean install of windows 10 once you have done the free upgrade, the free windows 10 upgrade is good for the hardware that is installed when you do the upgrade. might want to download magical bean key finder and write down the win 10 key just in case, after that load an iso onto a disk or usb and format the drive then reinstall. i have also read if you have a UEFI bios that sometimes the windows key gets stored in the bios, however this probably isnt the case for you unless the upgrade can overwrite the key in the bios.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
most uefi bios have whats called write protection as a feature.

if you dont want windows to voerright part of the bios to "lock" itself to it, enable the write protection. can also be called flash protection.

Ive used the same windows 7 and windows 10 install on 3 of my computers when testing different hardware, and its never complained. just do not make the mistake of attempting to update more than one at a time

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Did some tweaking of DirectX drivers, got DX 9 13.12 drivers and dropped them in the D3 folder, that seems to have helped game play a little.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Welp, both PC's are slowing down, gonna nuke and pave the one above. Creating a USB install drive for Win 10, but also have the original Win7 partition.

I haven't went into the startup menu in a decade or more to change to boot order...this could get ugly.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Welp, both PC's are slowing down, gonna nuke and pave the one above. Creating a USB install drive for Win 10, but also have the original Win7 partition.

I haven't went into the startup menu in a decade or more to change to boot order...this could get ugly.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts