Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
So I switched the backup PC to WinX (Win 10) and like it so far, just surfing mostly. Seem Chrome browser is now the bottle neck.

That said, my main PC I wish to switch as well plus upgrade from 500 GB HDD to 250 GB SSD. I've never came close to filling it up, mostly torrents anyways that can be transfer to one of four external drives I have if needed.

As it was explained to me on "that forum we shall not name" to copy the current drive to SSD and get it going smoothly, then upgrade to WinX on a clean install?

Microcenter near me has the same Samsung's for $90 as well.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Make sure you adjust all your privacy settings

Make sure you install or run Spybot Anti-Beacon

Turn off anything you dont use, and uninstall any of thoe included apps you dont use.

They are all sucking down resources.

Windows 10 as a system is somewhat of an improvement, but holy fuck microsoft wants to know exactly what every little action occurs

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Well kinda hard to say.
I cam from a Win7 laptop. Didnt have any problems, then i got a win10 laptop for christmas. So difference hardward specs. But i can say as some others have. Win10 likes to know a lot of information.
Other then that it does seem to run smoother.
Also if you have an xbox 1, you can stream your games to it and use your pc or laptop screen as a screen for the x1. So thats cool.
Other then that it works and i havent had any slow downs or weird errors.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
the shitty thing about windows 10 is pretty much the entire team/groups of people that were dedicated to supporting the operating systems were disbanded, laid off, or re-assigned.

Windows wants to know so much info because they are using their customers as their unknown support group. Problem? have computer send an error report automatically.

Im not switching to windows 10 overall until its been out a few years.

Windows 7 is supported to 2020 anyways. Microsoft wants to cut that down, but 99% of military computer systems still run windows 7 and older versions of windows server.

Hell when I was in the Army, they were still in the process of converting from windows 2000, xp, and vista into win 7 setups.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
I did turn off the keystoke tracking and such, but have found Edge more useful than Adobe for opening FSM .pdf's...so I deleted the Adobe.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
A tiny portion of the population is annoyed or upset by 10s "spy" stuff, that wants to know where you are and semi automatically connect to other 10 devices etc, but keep in mind that this stuff is written for a generation of people who are progressively more and more computer illiterate. The VAST majority of the "Mac" generation is BARELY capable of turning things on, they NEED features that autoconnect, autolocate and autopredict, because they cant use a computer without them.

Thats why Macs are gaining popularity, they have had tons more of that spy and automation stuff than windows for years and kids gobble it up. I actually had a kid tell me he would never buy a PC because his Mac can render videos and it wasnt possible on a PC. I pulled up google and typed: render video on a PC and showed him all the hits then went to Handbrake's website to download their free program, then just turned to him and said "Yea, it was probably worth the extra $1000 you paid for your Mac that has crappier hardware to not have to spend 30 seconds on google, and download a free program".

It is pretty sad really, I was born in 1980 and was much more computer literate than most of my peers, but in general we were more computer capable than the generation before us, up to the early 90s group was also a pretty capable bunch overall, but now I deal with college kids born from mid 90s to 2000ish and the VAST majority of these kids can barely find a power button. Lots of these kids cant figure out how to put in a DVD and hit "install" (100% serious here) let alone figure out how to connect together a network or get a computer to talk to their xbox if it wasnt 99.99% automated.

In the next 20 years we are going to see a complete reversal of the somewhat classic activity of grandchildren helping their grandparents with computers, because that computer literate group from the mid 70s to the mid 90s are going to be getting calls from their grandchildren asking how to find the switch to make the magic box work.

Windows 7 is supported to 2020 anyways.
That is "Extended" support, "Mainstream" support for windows 7 is already over. For comparison Vista still has "extended" support and will for another year, however it is a dead OS for all practical purposes and has been for quite a while.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Totally agree^

I had macs a while back. And they are dummy systems.
Just drag and drop programs and built in stuff.
Same shit as ios.
I had my friend tell me that his iphone is better then android.
Because you can do facetime .
I told him any andriod can do that with google hangout. He didnt believe me. Had to show him.

But thats how tech is. Im a tech guy so i know about alot. Andni get alot of people asking me questions.
And it seems to have change so much now to make everything auto. Which isnt that bad but at the same time it makes people more stupid.

Self parking cars, because people dont know how to park.
Blink side montiors because there to lazy to checl there mirror and over the shouders.
Its all lazy ware that makes people dumber.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yea, pretty soon they wont be able to trust people with knives and forks and all of our food will come spoon ready, because spoons are easier and safer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yea, pretty soon they wont be able to trust people with knives and forks and all of our food will come spoon ready, because spoons are easier and safer.
You can poke your eye out with a spoon. I think we'd better move on to drinking out of plastic cups. And they have to be without straws (poke ... eye etc)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Yep, updates are set to download, then ask me before installing. I had a suggested update that caused all kinds of issues a while back, enough that I had to go into the registry to fix things. This is something the "average" user should ever have to do, which I consider myself just that. I know enough to get in there, and know one keystroke in wrong place can kill everything.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Odd, I havent run into that yet, what was the update for? And what did it break in the registry?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Odd, I havent run into that yet, what was the update for? And what did it break in the registry?
this was on the main Win7Pro 64 bit system. It was some time ago. Also the reason I have a second PC so I could search for a fix!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I missed a lot but...

Yes Win10 has a lot of weird settings and mine required me to inevitably do a clean install... Which I prefer anyway.

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 for exactly 3 reasons:
- I somehow fucked up Visual Studios and a bunch of features stopped working... (I'm thinking it was linked to some Telerik update.)
- I was interested in the Win Apps/Integration and also wanted to start developing some as well.
- Samsung 840Pro wouldn't update firmware no matter what I did.

So as much as I loved Win7, I made that my breaking point. Also Remote Desktop (with Pro) and the Bitlocker Encryption was something I was interested in. Need to do more digging.

The in-place upgrade went well had no issues with any programs. I was surprised... But Win10 seemed to not like junctions (mklinks /j) on any user folder. So I broke the start menu and Microsoft Edge... It seems even if I mklink'd only one account, the system would get confused and move other folders onto the other drive and It just became a mess.

So I clean installed it all again. I tried using the TenForums guide using the Audit Mode to move the users folder but could not obtain the install.win file from the Win10iso (only encrypted install.esd)...

Anyway, I was surprised with the out-of-the-box drivers since everything ran smoothly. I ended up digging through OEM drivers anyway for updates, but that's only because I'm picky like that. It was basically useless, you couldn't tell anything was missing or out of date. (I think only the on-board Audio driver was missing, but I use my speakers through HDMI so the AMD drivers were sufficient)

I am still getting used to the Start menu and was careful to weed out the piracy settings. Local account, no Cortana etc etc... But you need a Microsoft account linked to use the App Store. So we'll see.

Haven't used it much but compatability is pretty good. Microsoft Egde is more chrome-esque, even has a task manager built in. (Not sure if IE did, I stopped using it at maybe IE7, and only used it to check program compatability). A lot faster than IE, but still in early development.

Issues:
- Laptops with high res displays: the scaling to 150%+ can make Cleartype and any edges blurry, this annoyed me (Bought my lady a XPS13, sexy Comp and screen, but you can tell which programs are not optimized.)
- There seems to be a bug that makes the screen go black with edge on certain websites, haven't found anyone with similar issues(Only on XPS I believe). Using chrome till it's fixed...
- Web/local search is not the most accurate.

I usually have a ton of optimizations I do when installing a new OS, but through what searching I found... seemed unnecessary. So I found myself twiddling my thumbs more that actually balls deep in all of the setting. The picture about the piracy will be something I look into though, but this is my workstation. So nothing illegal/concerning happens on it.

But I do want an "old" copy of Photoshop CS# since the newest is now a subscription based thing (Makes sense, easier to avoid piracy), I am currently running Adobe Photoshop 6 from maybe win2000.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
For what I use on a PC, Win10 on the backup PC has been easy EXCEPT one thing....

Sleep/Hibernate function was different after the change. I prefer my screen to go dark after 5 minutes, PC power down after 30 minutes but only need to wiggle the mouse or hit a key to awaken, all windows still open etc.

At first the PC would still be running the fan, then would shut down requiring a full boot up. Chaneged a few settings and still not the way it was, haven't dug into it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Also, I might tackle the main PC soon, too cold to be out in the garage working, needs an hour just to warm up...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
One of the recent updates allows 10 to be activated directly with a 7 or 8 key, so you dont have to upgrade first, you can just do a clean install with your old key. Just make sure the version (home or pro) matches and that you do all the windows 10 updates after the install.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Last week I got a computer with vista that was messed up all over, lots of corupt system files that sfc couldnt fix, so I "upgraded" to vista to repair it, then upgraded to 7, then upgraded to 10.

The vista install had only 20GB of free space on the disk, by the time I got to 10 that had increased to 80GB. That a normal 10 install can be 60GB smaller than a vista install impressed me a fair amount.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
My Win7 has issues, why I'm wanting a clean slate.

And yes all the people worried about the newest updates changing the Win10 upgrade so it starts downloading, I'm not worried. Just take some time and turn off the BS for the lazy people. I've yet to remove Cortina on the backup PC, don't need it. However the weather tile on the Win10 screen is nice.

BUT!!!!

I will not create an account just so I can get apps for Win10....I'll nuke it and go Chromebook before that.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
BUMP!!!!!

OK while the Win 10 exp. has been fine, I believe there are still issues with the old Win 7 files that might being used, slowing the slow as balls PC down even more.

I would like to nuke and pave and have a fresh install.

The Win7 original install came with a backup partiton, would that have been over written with Win 10 files as well?

I'v also heard of putting Win 10 ISO on a USB stick and doing fresh install from there.

Part of the issue is DirectX 12 that was part of the new IOS has the graphics drivers jacked up and I'n barely able to play Diablo 3 now. I am looking at buying/building a new PC, likely a low end quad core build. I was looking at this but the case is HUGE! and I don't have the room.

PowerSpec G312 Desktop Computer 819870 - Micro Center

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
do you want an older amd 6 core setup with 6gb ram and a fresh optimized win 7 pro thrown onto it?

you just need to find a case for it (atx, its a full motherboard)

would make it cheap for ya

81 - 100 of 110 Posts