Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow D-Series

I have never ever considered going turbo with a Honda, but lately ive been thinking about the dark side and would like to know if this homemade turbo kit would work with my D16Y8... my motor has been converted to OBD1 if that helps in anyway.

The seller states that this kit is for a D16A8

1st kit. (perfect fit for eg si hatch)
tdo4l turbo
custom manifold
2.5inch dump pipe.
front mount intercooler with all nessersary pipes and connectors
hks style BOV
hks dome filter
all oil lines needed.
oil catch can
larger injectors (unsure of what size)
malpassi fuel pressure reg.
boost gauge
and exhaust to suit EG HATCH (trade for stock exhaust if this is wanted)
D16A8 sump with oil return line welded in.

I was wondering what would i able to use from that kit, and what i wont be able to use...

Now im far from being a turbo expert and i dont know what the hell a tdo4l turbo is?... is it a big or a small turbo? and what kind of boost would i be expecting to run from this setup? :confused:

Thanks in Advance
John

·
Registered
629 Posts
what kind of manifold is it? what were you planning on running for engine management?

I did a little bit of digging on the turbo, and found this site describing most mitsubishi turbos, and mainly where they came from.http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=655

hopefully this helps...im going to do a bit more research on the compressor maps and specs of that particular turbo.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
ebay?. friend? neighbor. some dude. can you see this product in person, inspect the turbo, the guy for that matter, make sure things are on the up and up, the quality is good, and things arent just powerwashed to look like new or in good condition, lots of things can be shady about a good deal, how much does he want for it,

tdo4 is the 15 g turbo, there is a couple that are made, greddy usaually puts out the aftermarket turbos named with the tdo4 badge, if not its a eclipse turbo i belive ? (maybe wrong) , they are made by mitsubishi, and they are the 14b 15g 16g and 20g, the tdo4 is the 15g a good size turbo for just starting out on a stock motor, 12-15psi or so is all its good for after that i've been told its a hair dryer but thats around 180-200 h/p *depending on your motor and current mods* but for me and you *y8 and d15b vtec* this turbo along with many others suits us just fine, ...umm as far a compatability, im not too sure, turbo needs to be inspected for shaft play and abuse, make sure the impellar is free and all that good stuff the bov is prolly universal judging by the 'style' thing boost gauge of course catchcan lines filter, all the basic, but if you get this kit you need to look into gettting your ecu programmed with either crome or uberdata, search around and see what shops use what program, you will get the most bang for your buck letting your engine realize what your doing and chaning things accordingly, damn this is a long winded post and im prolly all over the place, feel free to disregaurd this if you dont understand, jus tryin to help =) good luck and happy booooooosting!

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks for both your quick and informative posts, this kit is sold by a person on another honda forum, he lives near me, and i think i will go and inspect the turbo out.. ill also take time to check out its custom manifold and see if its compatible with the D16Y8, im from Australia the full Turbo kit is being sold for $1700 which i dont know how much that is in US dollars, will the D16A8 sump with oil return line work for a D16Y8?? we dont have any mitsubishi eclipse over here so it most likely didnt come off of one.

As for engine management, im thinking about going for the Hondata S100/S200 would that be efficient enough?? right now im using a P28 ECU

Im not looking for biggest HP or anything, i just wanted to give the Y8 abit more ompfh... and ill most likely just run 6/8psi on stock internals

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
well im not sure how your financial situation is, but the chipped ecu with crome may be a cheaper solution and i was told works fine if not better, so eh. just depends on whats over there *(down under)* for tunining, and 8psi would be suffiecient, i'd do a lil maintinence <sp? on your motor if going boost, dunno how many miles on it, but always good to tune up before you forcefeed your motor, and as far as the post no prob, i love being able to help now that i have learned things, i use to not know anything when i first started, i get things wrong and mixed up. but i mean well and im gettin there, take it easy bro . good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
just remember, hondas are like lego's. The d16a8 is more or less the same thing as a ZC....sooo it'll work.

hondata will be fine if you want to shell out the money to have it...I personally prefer crome or uberdata....but then again it depends on what the tuners in your area tend to use...

if you want to give the motor a bit more power, boost is definately the way to go with d series! :TU:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome sounds good guys, im such a noob i dont know your compressor map... what is it about?? is that how the turbo performs??

Yeah i think the Hondata is pretty $$$ ... ive heard good news about the uberdata, does that work straight off my current P28 ECU? and all i need to do is download the program? *Down Under* pretty much has a limited amount of good tuners, so i guess ill probably spend alot of time finding the right tuner.

I just did a quick convert i dont know if its correct, but my motor has 110,000km's on it which according to my converting program i have 68,350.8311 miles on it lol

Also since im here and you guys are lending me your help, is the Y8 any good for boost? im basically a noob and ive been reading on this forum (maybe abit too much) but ive been reading some really bad reports about the Y8 and its oil sump... is that true? or just pure bad luck for those owners?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
yeah im not too indepth in the tuning aspect,, like what it takes to be able to use crome or uber. but you need to have it chipped , so a person, or your self, takes a chip and a burner and puts the program on it, and then.. ah wait i dont wanna confuse you,, never mind, better to ask or search around, and then reguarding the oil sump. not sure either, but ima go to bed, drunk+1215+final for school at 7= not my favorite, =(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha yeah im just reading on the uberdata atm... so much things are involved and being a noob things can easily get mixed up, so ill be reading and reading until it finally clicks in, but thanks for your help mate, the suns still up over here :hammer:

·
Registered
629 Posts
NeRV said:
haha yeah im just reading on the uberdata atm... so much things are involved and being a noob things can easily get mixed up, so ill be reading and reading until it finally clicks in, but thanks for your help mate, the suns still up over here :hammer:
heh, its 2:15 am here, and I have to go down to school (45 minute drive each way) tomorrow morning to register for fall classes (which I have neglected to do for the past few months). :lol:

anyways, i've tuned several cars on both uberdata and crome. www.moates.net will have everything you need to chip your ecu including the rom burner and eproms if you decide to do it on your own...Its not the easiest thing to learn, but once you get the hang of it you may be able to make some money. I would suggest in getting a wideband if you're going to do it yourself, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol 2:15am over there thats crazy!

Thanks for the link mate, im just going to spend the rest of my afternoon reading now, ill just post in here if i need anymore assistance :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey i got these pictures of the turbo kit, can someone tell me what they think of it?? does it look alright? is the custom manifold correct?? by the looks of things he doesnt have a/c ... but seems to be plenty of room to keep the a/c, and does anyone know what type of injectors those are??

Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
629 Posts
ryan89crx said:
looks like a WRX snail to me
sure is ;)

that kit looks pretty good. It needs to be cleaned up (charge piping and so on), but it will work well.:) The turbo appears to be in pretty decent condition.

·
Registered
213 Posts
(from the pics) i thought you couldnt run large cc injectors with an FMU? ive heard anything alittle over stock could actually be dangerous on an engine without proper engine management...

kit looks good, for its size the turbo should spool-up super quick! (check for shaftplay, make sure its in good shape)

-tek

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
the malpassi fuel pressure reg is a rising rate adjustable, rather than an "FMU" From what I've read (breifly) the black around the regulator designates it to be around a 1.5:1 and appears you can adjust close to that number. But yea, I'd assume he was using some other type of managment to control those injectors. Probably an AFC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback guys... so its confirmed that the kit would work on my Y8 and that everything looks good, and that the turbo is from a WRX, my only concern is that a friend of mine knows the owner of this turbo kit and said that the only reason why this guy is selling this kit cheap is that he blew his motor with it... and that the tdo4l turbo can only run 14psi or else its weak... now being i noob i wont even have a clue, can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
629 Posts
NeRV said:
Thanks for the feedback guys... so its confirmed that the kit would work on my Y8 and that everything looks good, and that the turbo is from a WRX, my only concern is that a friend of mine knows the owner of this turbo kit and said that the only reason why this guy is selling this kit cheap is that he blew his motor with it... and that the tdo4l turbo can only run 14psi or else its weak... now being i noob i wont even have a clue, can someone enlighten me?
he probably blew his motor up because he had shitty engine management.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts