Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a chipped P28 Ecu from phearable.net. It had been set up for an eg civic that was going to run a d16y8. So it had the y8 fuel map. A few weeks ago I found out that the bottom end of the y8 I bought needs a lot of work so, I thinking of doing a mini me to my b7 with the y8 head instead. Will the ecu be able to work or would I have to get another ecu altogether?
I had all the stock settings for the y8 kept. So I don't think it'll over rev the little 1.5.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
It might run it..... but probably not well at all, seeing as how the engines have different timing maps and power bands etc....

But since its chipped, just have someone on here burn you a basemap and swap out the chips!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I had all the stock settings for the y8 kept. So I don't think it'll over rev the little 1.5.
i guess the 15's better rod to stroke ratio makes you think it will get over revved? i dont get it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess the 15's better rod to stroke ratio makes you think it will get over revved? i dont get it
I meant that I didn't have the ecu set to rev any higher then it would from factory.
I know that the stock d rods can't take more then 200 or so hp and about 7500 rpm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might run it..... but probably not well at all, seeing as how the engines have different timing maps and power bands etc....

But since its chipped, just have someone on here burn you a basemap and swap out the chips!
Ok
I hate spending money twice. at least now I learned not to order parts before I'm ready to use them.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Ok
I hate spending money twice. at least now I learned not to order parts before I'm ready to use them.
Well, not necessarily a bad buy, just spend 20-30 bucks and get a chip burnt custom for your set up, install, and BAM your done.
Its as easy 1, 2, 3!! *End Billy Mays tribute*

just get another chip with ur base map 20-25 bucks sometimes cheaper
^^^Exactly sir!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
dont spend any money dude, unless you dont have a burner

if you have a burner, the Y8 head swap map is on uberdata's site. if you DONT have a burner, xenocron has a chip service for 35 bucks they send you a chip loaded with the burn.

I wiould try finding a friend who might have the burner, or pay a tuner 10 bucks to load the map on your chip, its not like they are doing real work, they plug the burner into the computer and 3 seconds later you plug it into your car and drive away

you will see a big compression difference, so dont drive the car at all if possible with the 1.5 block and Y8 head. pinging is a bitch and a death call

EDIT what I mean is dont drive without the proper map lol

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
It doesn't matter if you are running the engine you told phearable.net you had or not. Either way all you got was a basemap and you need to get it tuned anyway. Don't believe me? Read their site, it tells you this! Still don't believe me? I have a y8 laying on my garage floor with a spun bearing because I was running a basemap from them without tuning it! (not their fault, I'm not blaming phearable.net for that, THEY WARN YOU NOT TO RUN THEIR BASEMAPS)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
you dont spin a bearing because of a tune numbnuts. you spun your bearing cuz the Y series of the D family sucks balls for proper oil consistancy

lol

but yes, both xenocron and phearable assume the tune they give you is to get to the dyno for final tuning, not for running around

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Timing being too advanced can damage bearings buy putting too much load on them just the same way it puts too much load on the connecting rods/pistons/crank, etc... If your timing is advanced so far that you have maximum cylinder pressure while the piston is at TDC then you are pushing straight down on the connecting rod, crank and bearings, I.E. this is trying to push the crank out the bottom of the engine instead of turning it. This is also putting extra force on the bearings... numbnuts. :tank:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't matter if you are running the engine you told phearable.net you had or not. Either way all you got was a basemap and you need to get it tuned anyway. Don't believe me? Read their site, it tells you this! Still don't believe me? I have a y8 laying on my garage floor with a spun bearing because I was running a basemap from them without tuning it! (not their fault, I'm not blaming phearable.net for that, THEY WARN YOU NOT TO RUN THEIR BASEMAPS)
Thanks. I never knew that.
If I you had not said anything I would have blown the motor. I guess I know have to find a shop to tune it after the head swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts