Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can get a 98 y8 auto out of the junkyard for 75 bucks. my d15b vtec is on its last legs. so can i use the intake manifold and cam out of the d15b in the y8. is there any reason not to use the y8 auto. i mean is there a difference between auto and manual as far as internals. it has the y8 intake manifold but its auto. so thats out of the question. but since the cam is out of the d15b it should make more power than the y8 cam right, plus its a 1.6 compared to a 1.5. anyones input is appreciated.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
the y8 is a better motor I agree but im also biased, ( I have one)
I wouldnt use the d15 stuff. I stick with all 1.6 stuff.
Change the TB to a manual one too. Something about the TPS sensor.
Im not sure on the cam thing. but If you look at the specs online the y8 does make more power stock..
You could also get the y7 tranny for turbo later too..
Just a thought.
If you have any more specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
more speculation about the d15b cam... no one has ever posted any measurements so we don't know if it's better or worse (whatever that means).

This is a guess, but how does a 1.5L get the same power as a 1.6L at the top end? Maybe a wilder vtec cam profile... but who knows how it would perform in a y8. You'd definitely need a adj cam gear to offset 4.75 degree offset.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
yeah just swap in the manual tb and drop the y8 in there. you can build the d15 while it's out and then later swap it back in when it's fully built.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about using an a6, or sohc zc bottom end on my vtec head. the head is the exact same thing as the z6 head except the cam. ive done alot of research on that motor and cam and everyone on honda-tech said that the cam is just a step below the comp/zex 59300. so what if i just got an a6 or zc bottom end and did my own mini-me. would these be good combo's to go with, or even the y8 bottom end with my head? not sure what to do, just know i need to get the bottom end worked out, its making bad noises

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
Put the 3SVTEC head on your 1.6! Check the compression calculator, but i dont think it will raise the compression that much. It will however, give you a three stage VTEC 1.6, and i dont think it comes more JDM bling than that!

Keep your 1.5 block, put it on an engine stand, and slowley rebuild it. Then when its built, get that motorbike motor back in your car straight away!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts