Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As the message states, I'm wondering if there are any problems installing HIDs with my OEM EF fog lights. I have the 9005 conversion on my low beams which provides plenty of lighting but I am looking to purchase a cheap set of HIDs for my fog lights. My hope is that a cheap set will not overpower the 9005 conversion, but will provide more light than currently.

My issue, and I've searched but found very little other than context clues which lead me to believe they won't, is that I'm not confident the H3 HID bulbs will fit the OEM housing without modification due to their extended length. Modification is a non-negotiable, won't do it.

Can anyone confirm that the H3 HID bulb is longer/will fit before I go out and purchase a kit?

Thank you, in advance, for your time.

Brian

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Cheaper brands just ship H3, which usually has the capsule higher than a H3 HALOGEN bulb. As mentioned a specific H3C is more compact AND puts the capsule closer to the halogen version. Light output will be nearly the same H3 vs H3C, but the H3C will have a much better beam pattern.

As far as overpowering, it depends on what housing you have. If you have the square reflector-style fogs, then they will overpower your headlights & create glare for other drivers. Projectors usually have cutoff shield to block light lower. The cutoff is much lower than the headlights and work great with HID bulbs.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
if youre going to do h.i.d you should look into a retrofit that way youre not blinding traffic with glare. granted youre using fog lights, it would still improve and be worth it. Ive thought about it on many occasions, I just hate the fact youll need additional ballasts for the fogs

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have h3c bulbs in my 92 civic fogs. Had to depin the connections to get them through the stock hole. Works fine and since it's a projector, have no issues with glare. Post pics when you get er done.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
One thing I've thought about is getting a set of aftermarket projector-style fogs (waterproof universal style) for my beaters, then tossing some HID's in them. All my cars besides my IS300 have had horrible lighting from the factory, and advanced halogens (Sylvania, etc) barely helped at all.

If the OEM housings are plastic & you don't mind cutting them, you could always retrofit some sealed fogs into them. Amazon has a lot of inexpensive versions with a lot of good reviews and they accept HID's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts