Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because I've always ran NGK BKR7E's in all of my boosted D's.

But on this car it's running a different NGK plug; it's a "race" plug.

Here is an Amazon.com link.

I have a brand new set of BKR7E's just sitting around and I was just wondering if/how changing the plugs would effect my tune?

Here are a few pictures of one of the plugs:

Those plugs have some age to them as well. Probably going on a year... :sweatdrop:

They're currently gapped to ~.030 and I would probably use a ~.028 gap if I switched to the BKR7E's.

The current plug is actually a bit shorter in length on the threaded side, as compared to the BKR7E's.

It's the reason why I'm hesitant on just switching them out without getting a knowledgeable opinion.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only way it would effect tune is IF the burn is not as complete, but i seriously doubt you have anything to worry about.

why not stay with the bkr???
I definitely intend to change to the BKR's, these R5671A-8's have been in the car since I first got it.

So last time I did the spark plugs, I just ordered the R5671A-8's so nothing would be changed. I initially ordered the BKR's because I assumed that's what was in it already, but when I saw that it was a different plug in there, I decided to order identical plugs.

Since it's time to change the plugs and I had this extra set of BKR's sitting around, I figured I would ask if it would affect anything before I went ahead and swapped the plugs out.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Looks like you may be pinging a bit... lots of peppered metal specks fused to your plug... At least it LOOKS that way.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Yes they can change the tune. Heat rating (think spark intensity) and plug gap play a large role in the burn. You know what they say...if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I like to go one step further and say "how can it be better". Try the new plugs but be cautious and retune as needed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight everyone!

I went ahead and changed out the plugs for the BKR7E's.

The car feels noticeably more responsive and "peppy." That could just be because they're fresh plugs but meh.

The gap on all of the plugs is set at .028.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats the difference in those race plugs than the BKR's?? I never had a problem with my BKR's.
I don't know the difference, but the race plugs are shorter than the BKR's on the threaded side of the plug.

Now that the BKR's are in, I'll be staying with those from now on.

Not sure what the previous owner was thinking by installing the race plugs. Seems to run better with the BKR's.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I'm guessing shorter threads to run a high comp piston without hitting the plug. Rather than the element sitting in the chamber, it might be flush with the quench.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Non-projected nose, much more detonation resistent.
Softer ground strap, so IF it comes loose, it won't do as much or any damage.
They only start at -7, then go to -10 (if you have something like a 2000+HP V8)
They are non-resistor plugs.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I change my plugs more often than most. I've tried all kinds of different plugs
but always go back to my original V-Power. If that's what you've always used,
Mark, I'd just stay with them. Just read them after you've driven on them for a
bit.

Still feel as responsive?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts