Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yea, last night i decided to shave my vc and im going to start painting it soon. what happened was when i was grinding off the letters i knicked it a couple of times.

would bondo hold up on this? or would it get so damn hot that it might crack and look like shit?

any suggestions?

has anyone had to do this?

this is what happens when i change the wheel on my angle grinder :(

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
or you could have someone put 10 seconds worth of welding on it and grind it down

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Good suggestions^. Maybe try some JB Weld also.
This came up in the VC painting thread. Someone had tried JB Weld and didn't like the way it feathered in and used bondo instead. The temperature rating on the bondo was supposed to be high enough to work on a VC. I personally wasn't convinced and used JB Weld on mine with success. The JB Weld is a little harder to sand and feather in, but I found it to be quite acceptable. Beyond that, all my problems with shaving the VC stemmed from being too aggressive with the grinder ;) I'm going to stick with a Dremel in the future and take it nice and slow. Good luck!

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I tried Rage body filler on a b series valve cover ages ago. It was on the car for 2 years with not a problem. It worked well in my case. It was also a seriously light coat though.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i used filler on mine, after i tried to use JB weld.

if i was going to do it again i would just use filler. it works great.
some good ideas here guys. thanks

and by the way its not as bad as im making it seem. i just want a smooth vc with no dips in it.

danz...what happened when you used jb weld? did it not work well? i have jb in my garage. body filler i'd have to go and buy.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
some good ideas here guys. thanks

and by the way its not as bad as im making it seem. i just want a smooth vc with no dips in it.

danz...what happened when you used jb weld? did it not work well? i have jb in my garage. body filler i'd have to go and buy.
the JB weld did not feather at all.

so if you use JB weld, expect to put filler over top of it to get a smooth blend from the aluminum to the jb weld/filler.

i would just use filler for the whole thing.

VC's dont get that hot.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
ive used cheap 1dollar spray paint on mine back in the day and that held up just fine... shouldnt have any problem.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
the JB weld did not feather at all.

so if you use JB weld, expect to put filler over top of it to get a smooth blend from the aluminum to the jb weld/filler.

i would just use filler for the whole thing.

VC's dont get that hot.
It feathers to a degree. I mostly used it to fill holes on my VC. Having said that, it would have been way easier to have used filler if I had something on the face of the VC I needed to fill. Hey, the worst that will happen is it will crack in five years or so and you'll have to do it again ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts