Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if a d17a2 Vtec head will bolt up and work properly on my D16y8 block.? All help is appreciated..

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
511 Posts
Nothing is impossible with the right amount of money, but that head on that block do not work together. Too many things are different between the D15/16 block/head compared to the D17 block/head. The D17 is practically an entirely different engine, although it does share some internal engine geometry characteristics with the D15/16 series engines, that's about it.

This winds up in the same category as trying to say the B21A1 from the 3rd gen preludes is similar to the better known B16/18/20 engines that we all know. The B21 shares almost nothing with the more well known OBD1 honda engines, even though it is technically a "B" series engine.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
They are note 100% incompatible, but using anything but minor external parts probably isn't going to work. For example I managed to get a D17 evap purge valve to work with my D16.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,891 Posts
You can use the d17 crank, rods, pistons, oil pump and timing gear in your y8 block.

the d17 block/head are not the same as the d16 block/head. So you cant use one on the other or viceversa

Why use a d17 head, when there are d16/d15 heads out there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts