Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 95 Civic ex coupe with a Mini-me swap.
D16z6 block with a D16y8 head.
I am wondering if a d16z6 camshaft
Will fit in my Y8 head..?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the indexing is 4.5 degrees off, you'd need the y7/y8 cam gear to correct

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe you use the Z6 cam with the Z6 cam gear in a Y8.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but a Z6 block with a Y8 head isn't a mini-me. It's just a head swap. A mini-me is a 1.5L non-VTEC engine with a Z6/Y8 head swapped onto it. Since the deck height of the 1.5L engine causes issues with cam timing, you'll want to swap cam gears, but this isn't your case.

Regardless, the cam indexing is different between the Z6 and Y8 cams like shoebox said. You will still need to adjust cam timing if you want to swap a Z6 cam into a Y8 head either through swapping cam gears or using an adjustable cam gear.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
4.7x degrees unless a Honda Engineer can provide the hard numbers.

360/38/2 = 4.73684210526

·
Registered
35 Posts
Use the Z6 cam gear with the Z6 camshaft. Nothing will be off. From what I know, only the groove (or whatever the correct term is in english) for that small retainer tooth in the center of the cam gear is off some degrees comparing Y7/Y8 and Z6 cam and gears. Using the matching cam gear will thus eliminate any problems. In D15 mini-mes you compensate for the difference by using a Y7 cam gear, but for a D16 that is not necessary afaik.

By the way, a Z6 cam makes absolutely no sense. It's overall a little worse than the Y8 cam. Only thing is, the low profile on the Z6 cam is even lower and shittier than on the Y8 cam which makes the difference between low and high cam profiles more notable, so people feel a harder "VTEC kick" on switchover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.