Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, how’s it going hope all is well. I just have a quick question I’m selling my hf transmission it’s out of my 1991 and it’s been posted for like two months. Finally someone is interested but he wants to know will it fit and be geared taller than his 1996 crx hf? I guess he’s looking for lower rpm’s but iether way will it bolt up? He sounds pretty serious and I’m unable to find info I did however find out that his 1996 hf should have a d15a2 in it and therefor any d series transmission should bolt right up right? Are the output shaft splines the same?

will my 1991 fit in his 1996 hf? Thanks so much I can’t find anything yet. Take care everyone

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI / 01 GSR
2,046 Posts
Yes it will bolt up. But cable clutch vs hydro and possible mechanical vss vs electric vss

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI / 01 GSR
2,046 Posts
the 88-91 transmission is cable clutch and mechanical vss
the 96 car has a hydraulic clutch and electrical vss hookup

it will bolt right in but it may be difficult to get the speedo working, the clutch you will be able to do a work around or buy a kit that converts them

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,967 Posts
speedo is easy, if you can get the VSS out which usually requires tearing the trans apart.

As far as getting it mounted, have fun with that as well as doing a hydro to Cable conversion.

All in all it qwould be easier to find a 92-95 VX FD and swap it in.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI / 01 GSR
2,046 Posts
Yeah the mount will be different, i was only thinking about bolting it to the motor

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 88-91 transmission is cable clutch and mechanical vss
the 96 car has a hydraulic clutch and electrical vss hookup

it will bolt right in but it may be difficult to get the speedo working, the clutch you will be able to do a work around or buy a kit that converts them
Oh ok thanks. I just assumed since the first gen was older it too would be the same style. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. I don’t know anything about first gen’s yet.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI / 01 GSR
2,046 Posts
First gen whats?

Forth gen civic or second gen crx is what the 1991 transmission is from

And a 6th gen civic is what the car is.

In 87-91 civic/crx they had a cable clutch, mechanical speed sensor and transmission mount only found in cars with cable transmissions. Different from the hyrdo trans mount.

The 92-00 civic/delsol used a hydro clutch, electric speed sensor and has a hydro trans mount different from a cable trans mount.

The civic/crx/delsol are near the same through 88-00 but there are slight differences you run into when you switch from 88-91, 92-95 and 96-00 chassis

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI / 01 GSR
2,046 Posts
I'm thinking that 96 was a typo meant to be 86 possibly.
Yes now that i reread it, i believe you are correct.

In that case. It should bolt right in but may need a different clutch disk as the output splines changed in 1988. So you need a disk that matches the trans output shaft

1 - 11 of 11 Posts