Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering if you can clear something up for me?i was told tonight that to have a air/fuel guage you need a wideband o2 sensor.but you can't just have that and the guage you need a kit so that it has power to run and so you can tune with it.and it has to be wired into your pcm.is this true?why can't you just take a wideband o2 sensor wire it to your factory plug and put your guage in.sorry if its a stupid question but i am still new to this whole aftermarket anything so any help is always appriciated.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
For what I think you want, you want a Wideband. They do make AFR guages that use a narrowband, but a narrow band only measures stoichiometric 14.7:1 and then tells you if you are rich or lean.

A Wideband measures the whole AFR range (hence the name). A wideband needs a controller to run and power. It can be put in the same bung as your stock O2 sensor. Most have a narrowband output which you can then run to your ECU.

The wideband itself doesn't need to be hooked to your ECU. If you want to use it to tune, you need a way to datalog the output, along with other engine data. Most of the guys who tune use a portable for just that reason. they don't want a permanent install.

They have permanent install kits that just hook to a guage.

http://www.xenocron.com/catalog/wideband-permanent-install-c-25_44.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i made a mistake getting rid of the JR supercharger for a turbo...i am in way over my head.i don't have a clue now and there is noone around here that can tune.the closest place is a 4.5 hour drive,i have the ecu that i was running with my supercharger(tuned for 8 psi)thinking it would work for turbo too but i now get the impression that i will blow the engine if i don't tune.damn i don't even know where to start...but a wideband is pretty much a must have to make sure you don't run to lean???grrrr why can't i get my head around this....i need major help.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Actually, tuning is pretty much a must have to make sure you don't go lean. As long as the guys who tunes it has a wide band, you don't need one. If your ecu is socketed for using a chip, that's a step in the right direction. You could tune it yourself, but you'll need a bunch of stuff and some more know how. Check out this thread for some more info on what you are going to need:

http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=83478

·
Formerly weebeastie
905 Posts
Try an Innovate LM-1 or LC-1

Innovate makes a great wideband setup that will connect to a laptop or a gauge whichever you prefer. And they are a great tuning tool, but you will still need to have the ECU tuned to match you combination for sure. What kind of chip did you use before? Or better said what software?

·
Registered
391 Posts
hey guys i was just wondering if you can clear something up for me?i was told tonight that to have a air/fuel guage you need a wideband o2 sensor.but you can't just have that and the guage you need a kit so that it has power to run and so you can tune with it.and it has to be wired into your pcm.is this true?why can't you just take a wideband o2 sensor wire it to your factory plug and put your guage in.sorry if its a stupid question but i am still new to this whole aftermarket anything so any help is always appriciated.
The stock O2 sensor outputs a 0-1V step signal which tells the ECU whether it's above or below 14.7 (stoich) AFR. It doesn't tell how much higher or lower. A reading a 0V (lean) may mean 14.8, or 25. :shocked:

A wideband has a ramp response, typically linear (it's voltage output is proportional to what it's reading) and usually 0-5V, so it can closely measure what AFR it's reading at the exhaust. That's why you won't be able to just hook it up to an ECU.

Widebands with dual outputs are able to provide the ECU with the stock signal it needs, and to its separate controller to provide you (or also the ECU, if it's capable of accepting an additional analog input) an accurate AFR reading. I know the PLX widebands do, and it looks like, from this forum, the Innovate's do as well (no experience with those, tho').

What ECU are you running? Crome, Uber, Hondata, etc.? There are enough Hondata owners out there that you can probably find a starting point (basemap with your engine configuration) and go from there. Most likely it's the same with the others - check the online forums. Once you get a wideband and are able to monitor AFR's in real time, you can use a basemap to get the engine started, and start tuning from there.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
sounds like you think you HAVE to have a wideband. You do not. You take your car to the dyno tuner who has a wideband. you tune. he programs the chip. your done. but remember, changes in weather, changes in a/f. you are likeytipping out for some reason??? its just a turbo setup.not hard at all..and wideband is not that big of an issue. only need it if you wanna continue to monitor it all the time. and you yourself dont need a way to tune the ecu yourself....considering you have no clue about it...thatd be a waste of money to buy. let the pros do it. you turbo it build it. let them tune. no worries. smoke a L btw

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys,i'll keep searching and reading to try to make things easier when explained to me.thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would still want a wideband to moniter your air fuel ratio's even if you get it tuned professionally and they have one.It's a cheap useful tool. It can let you know of problems before they get worse like a fuel pump going out or an injector problem or failing fpr.Like stated above weather changes,altitude changes etc etc can throw your afr's off.Don't you think you want to know that?

You can find a good wideband for under 250 if you look.I bought a used aem uego for around 160.I just bought a newish zeitronix zt-2 off this forum for 70 and then 50 for a brand new bosch wideband sensor.It needed one missing cable that cost 28 dollars shipped new, so my grand toltal is....148.Thats CHEAP insurance.I like to know when Im racing that my afrs are where I want them to be.Someone on here just sold a complete lc-1 kit for 100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it possible to program the ecu to adjust the a/f ratio automatically?
I dont mean for the tuning stage, but for different weathers and temperatures etc?

Sorry stupid questions, thats what MAP is for lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts