·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yes sir, even higher levels of racing. I know the FF challenge put on by SS, HT, and some other mags had a 93 beater ass coupe holding his own in a field of SS cover cars and the like. Get out there boys, nothing like seat time to show you what your car and you are made of.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I have always wanted to do autocross. But like a 3 gun match I would like to atl;east see one in person and see how everything is ran 1st.

Knowing my retarded ass I would end up going the wrong way somehow lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See thats a common misconception. Read that article. That dude had never seen one either. Your first few laps, you get an instructor (usually another racer who has been doing it for years) assigned to you to ride with you and point things out, after a lap or two, its so easy to stay on course. From there you start working on better lines, braking points and apex's. Just go!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Yes sir, even higher levels of racing. I know the FF challenge put on by SS, HT, and some other mags had a 93 beater ass coupe holding his own in a field of SS cover cars and the like. Get out there boys, nothing like seat time to show you what your car and you are made of.
That 93 coupe was running a stock d16z6 as well. I believe the owner is from Southern California and is a tuner for a r35 GTR tuner shop.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I participated once, it was easily the most fun I've ever had with my pants on, beats out street racing, karting, or anything else one can do on 2 or 4 wheels. It's a rare bird to be fun and educational, the skills you pick re how your car behaves when pushed to and beyond it's limits in a consequence free environment are critical to anybody with spirited driving tendencies.

As far as how things are run, don't sweat it. Some organizations like SCCA have a shit ton of rules, most club events (the one I participated in as a guest was run by the Sunbeam Tiger Club) are a bit more lax. Your car will have to pass "scrutineering", better have your battery tie down, friction materiel on your brake pads, tires in decent shape, no missing lug nuts, these sorts of things. Most will require you wear a helmet.

I got there early and walked the course to get familiar with it, helped set up and corner marshalled when my group wasn't running, I wasn't there to compete and did not worry about my time except to compare them against my previous laps, it was the best thing I've done in a car...and I have gotten laid in a car, for the record

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
This is my plan for this year. I was going to try to go out lady year even though the sedan was auto bit it never happened. Just gonna get some new rubber and run over some cones.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I fully agree; if you at all enjoy racing cars or driving fast in general, you will LOVE to auto-x. I've attended several in multiple cars, but not in my current ride. That might change this year! ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully intend on taking the Honda out to at least one Auto-X here at Quallcom stadium this year. When I got it, I told my father in law it would be capable of competing, he told me "Yeah right, that thing will never have that life!" due to its condition when I got it from him. Id say its there already.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
This is my plan for this year. I was going to try to go out lady year even though the sedan was auto bit it never happened. Just gonna get some new rubber and run over some cones.
Street rubber is not an issue, I need to get those two wheels rebalanced.

CRX on street suspension and street rubber = FUN!!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Street tires are fun! PLus, if you get fast on street tires, you get fast as a driver. Then you make the jump to gumballs....make yourself a fast driver before you put yourself in a "fast" car or upgrade to fast equipment. Youll get 10X more speed out of the car.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Likely I will go from full stiff to full soft on the ST rear bar, it is not a huge change but should make the CRX less tail happy....for rookie drivers like BJWW :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock rear, delete the front. Super hard all season street tires. BUDGET RACING!!!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
Leave me alone. I'm sure I'll do just fine as a rookie. The only plans are for stock replacement struts and fresh rubber. If my tax return is enough, I might do the koni/gc combo bit I don't want to change the car too much from stock. Oh, and cut that fart can off of the car and have fan weld something quiet back there.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
I always get a kick out of people with zero experience doing track car builds. Take your DD out there and track it.

My first season of autocross was my senior year and my car was all stock aside from the CTR brakes and shocks/springs.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Don't think my auto tragic accord would fair well on a autocross track but hey once I get the suspension fixed we will see. I'm more worried about grenading the trans in that car due to the high miles.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
In my case, I'm replacing blown struts. I've been having a very rough ride the past few years. It's time they get replaced. Also, I'm on some 10 year old no name ebay springs and the car sits lower than I'd like it to.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have always wanted to do autocross. But like a 3 gun match I would like to atl;east see one in person and see how everything is ran 1st.

Knowing my retarded ass I would end up going the wrong way somehow lol
Just go to the events and watch, and/or talk to the guys running it... maybe ask to help (chase cones).

Back home the first event of the year was 2 days. The first day was a novice day to get them familiar with how things worked. You would run the coarse like you normally would, but an instructor would ride along to help you.

I miss drinking shitty coffee, eating crappy breakfast pizza, and changing tires in a parking lot way too early in the morning on my days off.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Honestly my biggest hurdle is trying to find a helmet I can afford that can fit my ENORMOUS noggin and figuring out how the frick I would manage to fit in my CRX while wearing it.... I guess I would have to say goodbye to the sliders and just hardmount a cheap racing seat as low as I could.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts