Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont get it, Local shops and racers just wont give the D's a chance. My goal is 250-275 HP. I dont care if its a stock turbo'ed B or a built D16Y8 turbo

but when I ask about doing the D I get all kinds of crap
weak cv axles , rod bearings spin real easily , and the famous a turbo D will ALWAYS lose to a TURBO B,

Im pretty much gonna go against all of em and do my turbo D16Y8 project on my 98 hatch. What you guys think about all the hate though?

I've posted a couple questions before but I may be picking up a good shape D16Y8 tomorrow for $200 w/ 65K on it no tranny tho
Will rods and low COMP pistons be enuff for 250-275 HP daily?

help me build what I want so I can kill some B series peeps

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeh i say go for it, people are idiots, im running a d16a1, so theyre like is it vtec? i tell them no so they think it sucks and then theyre always like why dont you just drop a b16 in it, just putting a b16 into my car will need so much work itll cost as much as the engine...they still dont understand, i dont know who ever put it in their minds that a b16 is the ultimate and powerful honda engine and without it you are slow and shitty

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thats because people don't know what their talking about.:!: I'm one of a limited few knowleadgable Honda people in town. After racing and spanking some honda ass:holla: they think I have a B-series Vtec because the see the DOHC engine with lots of bling. They say that I tricked them with my sleeper. I just stay shut because their to stupid to realize My 89 Integra come with that engine which is really a D16A1 DOHC. I brought their world to an end by defeating their stock CRX, Civics and Accords. I never snapped an axles, just get minor chassis lift on take off.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol very well put

they basically told me that a gsr swap in my hatch will outperfprm any turbo D combination and that D series doesnt have an intermediate shaft making the driveline very weak

I think Turbo - Y8 250+ ish HP would be fun

V

·
0 Posts
very simply stated, if hp is equivalent, the d will win. why? b/c the d has more torque and therefore makes more power than the b series engines. But my B can rev to 10K! well thats b/c you HAVE to rev that high to make any power out of that motor. its simple enginering physics. The type of power has to do mainly with these three factors: Rod to stroke ratio, the bigger the stroke the more torque the engine will put out, but at the same time the more stress is put on the engine the best r:s you can get is 1.72, and i beleive a B16a has one of 1.75 or so which is one of the factors that makes people beleive that the B series are much better than D's.; The "squareness" of the engine, an engine like a D has a rod that is longer than the width of the piston, which is refered to an Over-Square engine, these engine HAVE to rev high to make any power and produce a substantialy lower amount of torque, but more hp than the other types of engines. Factor Three: Head shape, the shape of the head affects how the air flows into and out of the engine, and determines fuel atomization, and how much air can be flowed into the engine naturally.
Other factors involving power are tranny gearing, weight and strength of the internals etc.
another reason people see the B as being greater than the D is b/c the B has stronger internals from the get go, a stock B16a2 can see excess of 300 hp before any internals will break (given it has to be a good tune, and i know some one will argue this with me but i've seen plenty of data on b16's making this kind of power with stock internals {the biggest weakness is the cast pistons}) where-as you have to replace your rods and pistons right around 200hp (just to be safe) on a d-series.
In conclusion, if you have a D-series in your car its the best way to go b/c it'll be cheaper in the long run (till about 350 whp). Whereas swapping in a good quality B is rather more money for less "power" in the short run, but if you are going all out it generally is the better choice.
And the reason most people hate on things is pure ignorance, most shop owners ive met are complete idiots and so are their techs, which is why im starting my own actually intelligent shop.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Like u said, w/ some rod & pistons u should see some good #'s an w/ a good tune an management.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yea, i think it is funny when i tell ppl that i am running a sohc, everyone just shrugs it off and thinks nothing. They talk about how they already have the swap or are getting a b-series. Wait till im turbod, then they will see which was a better investment. They even shrug off my friends turbod D like its nothing (altho he could beat probly any of there all motor b-series) just cuz its sohc. They talk about how you just can't get anything good out of a D. So i just don't say anything, cuz if they want to waste there money, when im turbo'd, they will see what is up.

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Turbo's are a great power adder. I take a lot of dohc's all the time, its not even worth mentioning. Just keep in mind that it gets tough when they have their rides turbo'd... I have had my shair of them as well, but also been taken by some.

The way I figure it is if you can get into the low 12's you shouldn't have a problem with any of them.

Good luck peeps

·
Registered
951 Posts
I dont car what haters say. The crank and head support like 500hp. Throw in a set of crower rods and je pistons i got for 300, 600 for sleeves, and now i have a bullet proof d block for under 1500 that will handle 4-500hp. The stock axles can hold up fine, and at the end of the day im still gona be economic getting the cheapest parts and 30-40mpg and not have to worry about tunning dual cams and what not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok so a 200 whp crvtec all motor will not keep up with a 200 whp turbo d16z6?
in theory?

vash_vts said:
very simply stated, if hp is equivalent, the d will win. why? b/c the d has more torque and therefore makes more power than the b series engines. But my B can rev to 10K! well thats b/c you HAVE to rev that high to make any power out of that motor. its simple enginering physics. The type of power has to do mainly with these three factors: Rod to stroke ratio, the bigger the stroke the more torque the engine will put out, but at the same time the more stress is put on the engine the best r:s you can get is 1.72, and i beleive a B16a has one of 1.75 or so which is one of the factors that makes people beleive that the B series are much better than D's.; The "squareness" of the engine, an engine like a D has a rod that is longer than the width of the piston, which is refered to an Over-Square engine, these engine HAVE to rev high to make any power and produce a substantialy lower amount of torque, but more hp than the other types of engines. Factor Three: Head shape, the shape of the head affects how the air flows into and out of the engine, and determines fuel atomization, and how much air can be flowed into the engine naturally.
Other factors involving power are tranny gearing, weight and strength of the internals etc.
another reason people see the B as being greater than the D is b/c the B has stronger internals from the get go, a stock B16a2 can see excess of 300 hp before any internals will break (given it has to be a good tune, and i know some one will argue this with me but i've seen plenty of data on b16's making this kind of power with stock internals {the biggest weakness is the cast pistons}) where-as you have to replace your rods and pistons right around 200hp (just to be safe) on a d-series.
In conclusion, if you have a D-series in your car its the best way to go b/c it'll be cheaper in the long run (till about 350 whp). Whereas swapping in a good quality B is rather more money for less "power" in the short run, but if you are going all out it generally is the better choice.
And the reason most people hate on things is pure ignorance, most shop owners ive met are complete idiots and so are their techs, which is why im starting my own actually intelligent shop.

V

·
0 Posts
no an all motor with equivalent hp will always beat a forced induced car, unless theres a bad driver. i never said anything about cr-vtecs, but if you would like me to tell you everything that i know about thier engine construction and expected torque and hp graphs i can, and gladly will. i was explaining to him how different engine construction will cause different engine behavior, hence the difference b/t D's and B's.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts