Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People put fans on radiators, consdensors, and heat exchangers for W/A set-ups. But why don't people put fans on the intercooler to provide some air flow over them when you're sitting still/at low speeds?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Why do you need cooler charge air at idle?
Bingo, If you're moving the air flowing over the Intercooler is naturally moving at a higher speed than the fan can force it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if you want to be really efficient, get a W2A intercooler. other than that while you are moving the outside air will flow through faster than the fan. it would be a good idea on a hot track to the 60 ft mark, afterwards your fan would really be obsolete (sp) since it wouldnt be pulling air in as fast as the outside air will flow.

just like your radiator fan wont run while you are going down the highway, no need for it to run at all.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I have my radiator fan on a toggle switch. But I do notice a difference in ECTs if I leave it on while moving, vs. shutting it off while moving. I really dont think it would be a terrible idea to have fans on the IC. Plus, figure if your moving, and air is running through the intercooler, a lot is probably redirecting around the intercooler. So if you had a fan, it would force it to come through.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Imao its a great idea if you live in the city/ hotter climates, or Fla/Tx/Ca lol

·
Registered
98 vw jetta 3
2,022 Posts
ive sometimes thought of making a director for the intercooler. seeing as how the intercooler fits and all and air runs around it because of design. would it be a good idea to make a front slip on thats angled towards the intercooler to divert flow into the front of the intercooler and gain more air flow volume?

air flow on radiator would be decreased but theres ways to fix that also.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
That actually would be usefull.
Its gotta atleast help some when youre sitting in traffic waiting for the 3 minivans in front of you to turn. Switch it off when youre cruising on the 'open' roads.

A water sprayer, or relocated windshield washer nozzle wouldnt hurt either if youre that concerned

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Its gotta atleast help some when youre sitting in traffic waiting for the 3 minivans in front of you to turn. Switch it off when youre cruising on the 'open' roads.

A water sprayer, or relocated windshield washer nozzle wouldnt hurt either if youre that concerned
Sprayed my condesor with water on my old ej1 the ac sucked in that car it was a r12 system converted to 134 and would over heat at idle so I sprayed water it made a differences.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
People dont do it because its simply not necessary. Once youre driving, the air alone will cool off the intercooler.

Who cares about temps at idle anyways, I doubt youre boosting 10psi at idle. And if the temps do go up at idle, once you start driving itll cool down.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Why do you need cooler charge air at idle?
They way I understood it was it stays cold-ish at speed because you dump hot air into the cooler intercooler, which has lots of air flowing over/through it. But at idle/standing still, there's no air moving over the intercooler at all, so the head from the charge air transfers to the intercooler, heatsoaking it (there was a really good explanation on rHMT).

So running fans on the intercooler would help reduce heatsoak. While hotter idle intake tempts might be a good thing for somethings, a heat soaked intercooler is never a good thing.. And I figure the air flowing over the fans would overpower the fans at speed anyways.

Just wondering why no one uses the idea, especially on OEM-turbocharged cars.

ive sometimes thought of making a director for the intercooler. seeing as how the intercooler fits and all and air runs around it because of design. would it be a good idea to make a front slip on thats angled towards the intercooler to divert flow into the front of the intercooler and gain more air flow volume?

air flow on radiator would be decreased but theres ways to fix that also.
I know what you mean, I just forget the word. I've seen set-ups where they have extra intake ducts under the car to direct more air at the radiator.

But I also wonder if you'll have problems (with overheating) taking hot-ish air from the intercooler and forcing it through the condensor/radiator. Or does the air not warm up all that much passing through the intercooler?

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Are you guys seriously this stupid??

Get a temperature probe and measure how much hotter your FMIC gets at idle. Youre NOT boosting, its in vacuum. There is very little to no heat soak to the FMIC.

You guys are unbelievable. Why dont you put fans on your lights so when theyre on they dont get heat soak to the head lamps?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
id like to move more air through my IC if i can.

so if i create a low pressure zone directly behind the warmest part of the intercooler (the side closest to the compressor) it will move even MORE air through it while at speed.

sounds like a good idea to me.

i guess thats why i want one for my a2a setup.

·
Registered
a civic
24 Posts
Are you guys seriously this stupid??

Get a temperature probe and measure how much hotter your FMIC gets at idle. Youre NOT boosting, its in vacuum. There is very little to no heat soak to the FMIC.

You guys are unbelievable. Why dont you put fans on your lights so when theyre on they dont get heat soak to the head lamps?
x2. Until someone actually measures the temp of the IC after a few runs with no fan running at idle and then afterwards with a fan then sure, and even then I dont think it will make a real difference. Once you start moving an efficient enough cooler should start doing its job quickly. As for at the track and staging lanes I think just a good sprayer over the entire intercooler would help the best and be easiest to do.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts