Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all

1999 Civic DX
1998 D16Y8
1998 EJ8 tranny

The motor pulls fine and it runs decent. I had it with a Y7 TB w/ Z6 rotor and it idled at ~1600 and fluctuated. It was really annoying, but it drove fine. I installed a Y8 TB and ever since then, it idled fine (~1000) but when im driving and say Im going a steady 40MPH, it starts bogging and sputtering. RPM's don't fluctuate, it just sputters and the exhaust sounds like its spitting. It accelerates fine and revs like its supposed to.

Any tips on that?

CELs I have:
-IACV
-Second o2 sensor
-ECU malfunction (ECU works fine btw)

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TPS? I have a new Blox one, but its on the Y7 TB. The Y8 TB has the TPS but its riveted on.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
ya if the TPS has a flat spot on the resistor bar the voltage can drop out the the ecu flips out. just an idea, oh you can take those out just gotta either drill the bolt or cut into it with a dremel then use a flathead to take it out thats what i did. one way to be sure is to hook up a DSO to it if you know someone who works in a shop who has one to check it out.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
ya if the TPS has a flat spot on the resistor bar the voltage can drop out the the ecu flips out. just an idea, oh you can take those out just gotta either drill the bolt or cut into it with a dremel then use a flathead to take it out thats what i did. one way to be sure is to hook up a DSO to it if you know someone who works in a shop who has one to check it out.

Exactly what this man stated!

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my Y8 TB to get the TPS grinded off and I installed a new Blox TPS and it still feels the same. So that marks off the TPS as a problem.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try out a new IACV next week. Hopefully that solves the problem. The *vroom vroom vroom vroom vroom vroom* when I hold the pedal at 1600RPM is still there with both TB's and both TPS'.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Did you calibrate the TPS? You can't just install one. That could be your whole issue right there now. They need to be calibrated using a volt meter aka multi-meter.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
yes make sure you calibrate the tps, should be around .45v at closed throttle and 4. something at WOT. their should also be a 5v reference, and a good ground to the tps as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts