Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a b7 and am swapping in the entire a6 head. I got a y7 cam gear but i cannot wrap my head around why the a6 runs on time but when you swap the cam to a b7 it doesn't run right. They are the exact same gears. Where does the variation come in that makes the half a tooth difference on the b7??

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and let me guess, that 5 mm is about the length of 1 and a quarter teeth so then times by 2 for 2 sides and that gives you two plus that half tooth difference which is why we use the y7 cam gear?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nevermind that is not right. I am trying to picture it all in my head but am having difficulty without having the parts right in front of me for imagery.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i believe they share the same water pump

the difference is in the deck height as bone stated.

just like if u skim too much off the head or the block u need to degree the cam. same logic applies.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuck i just can't visualize it in my head. In my head i see the belt growing half a tooth on either side(b7 timing belt has 106 teeth and a6 has 107)The left side has to stay tight because that side is not supposed to have slack because it goes from the cam gear straight to the crank. So when my d15b7 grows 5 mm in my head and the cam gear does not move and that left side stays tight, the belt teeth now rest on the high parts of the cam gear. So now the a6 gear has to turn left or right so the belt falls in the groove but iirc the a6 and b7 cam gear are exactly the same so that would mean the markings would be off on an a6 and i'm pretty sure honda ain't that stupid so that would mean that the markings between an a6 and b7 would be 4.5 degrees different, but if that is the case then why are they the same part number??????????????? I know it is not a big deal but i want to fuckin understand. I hate not knowing why I am doing something and just doing it because that is what is supposed to be done. The only solution in my head is that the cam markings have to be just a little different on the a6. They can still be identical gear teeth in comparison to keyway but the markings have to be different. Going crazy lol

I am taking my top timing cover off tomorrow after wrok and hopefully the timing marks are different or i have an epiphany at that moment that solves my dilemna. Don't get me wrong here, I perfectly understand why it ends uphalf a tooth advanced or retarded when the a6 cam or cam and head is put onto a d15b7 block. The issue i am having is how the b7 and a6 cam gears are supposed to be identical yet if you put the b7 cam gear on an a6 block and head the 2 lines would not match up with the cylinder head.
Have a goodnight hopefully somebody replies back tomorrow or me comparing the two gears yields some kind of answer. I cannot ponder this anymore lol

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the difference is the cams are indexed differently.

also, there are two sets of timing marks on the 88-95 cam gear. one set for D15's (you align these flush with the head) and one for D16's (you align this with the lone stranger mark around 7 o'clock) :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the difference is the cams are indexed differently.

also, there are two sets of timing marks on the 88-95 cam gear. one set for D15's (you align these flush with the head) and one for D16's (you align this with the lone stranger mark around 7 o'clock) :)
yes danz!!!! that's what i was looking for. It is different. rep times a million for you. I will rep you every time i see a post from you for the next couple weeks lol

I can rest easy now. Yah i know the cams are indexed differently. What was confusing me is the cam gears are supposed to be the same part number but they have different markings..? that does not make sense lol but oh well. i was imaging the d15b7 cam gear on an A6 and the markings would be off.

Are the cam gears different part numbers?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
10mm spacing on the timing belt, you take away 5mm in height, aka 1/2 tooth difference.

88-95 cam gears are all the same, PM3

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
The beauty of the Y8 gear. Zero is zero is zero is zero. No adding, subtracting.
It's almost impossible to get the timing wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts