Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seriously, I need someone to give me a reasonable explanation for that... All I can see around here is high-money 150WHP builds .. WTF

and please, don't say that it will be more reliable than going FI

if you don't have at least 15:1 compression pistons for a N/A with well build head, or if you don't spray big your D, then why spend any money on that engine for N/A ?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
its fun,your the ULTIMATE underdog, demands more skill from the driver to drive it fast.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
seriously, I need someone to give me a reasonable explanation for that... All I can see around here is high-money 150WHP builds .. WTF

and please, don't say that it will be more reliable than going FI

if you don't have at least 15:1 compression pistons for a N/A with well build head, or if you don't spray big your D, then why spend any money on that engine for N/A ?
my build cost moderately less than a b18c1 swap and makes more power, and has for almost 60K. i didnt need 250whp or 400 whp, i wanted 150-160 w/ lots of torque without the cost of buying boost stuff and subjecting the stock engine to boost.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If you learn how to make a high power na motor then you now what needs to be done to make everylittle hp gain

Then when you make a turbo or nawz motor you can roughly do the same and make even more power.

But i see your point 2k on a motor when $500 would yeild the same witha turbo or nawz.

·
Registered
91 hatch
1,249 Posts
i beleive it's the right way to go. max out the n/a possibilities then go boost, but im much to impatient for that. i want to take a short cut ,and then back track to better suit my setup besides got a lot to learn about compresion,and how it all works.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
what does it matter . . . ?

People spend their money on whatever they want. Personally I have an automatic and its already taken a dump once on a otherwise stock d15b2.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I dont have much in my N/A build maybe 1000 bucks total and about 1500-1800 including tranny and lsd! Not bad huh!

I could have joined the band wagon and bought a b16 for the horsepower i'll be making....

I like my engine keeps me out of the swapped autox class

It's a stock (sleeper) look too!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Because it's more rewarding to me. When I go to the track and run respectable times, people ask me what's under the hood and I proudly show them a N/A (non-vtec at that) motor. Very satisfying to say the least.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
If you're looking for the most HP than yea Turbo>N/A, but I was looking for something with lower torque and moderate power; easier to drive. Harder to spin skinny 195s with little torque ;) Also, I prefer the sound and feel of a N/A engine. It's more "raw".

BTW, I spent about $1300 with car INCLUDED!

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
uh i do it cuz its the oddball of the possibilities. your motor proves that you know what you are doing when everyone else has a bigger budget and money to let sumone else work on theur cars for them. Personally i like to take pride in my car. No mechanic has touched it since i bought it 4 years ago and it runs like a champ. I auto x it, drag it at the track, and not many people can say "yea im runnin 12.86:1 compression on pump gas with my sohc 1.6."

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
my build cost moderately less than a b18c1 swap and makes more power, and has for almost 60K. i didnt need 250whp or 400 whp, i wanted 150-160 w/ lots of torque without the cost of buying boost stuff and subjecting the stock engine to boost.
yep, i make more power then a GSR, i love the response, and the curve. The setup is almost 100 pound lighter. Most of all, I love tinkering and re-engineering. You actually have to learn dynamics to make good decisions. Half the fun is making a change based on theory and seeing if it produces.
I make 122 wheel tq. Thats massive tq for a build of this nature. In summer, I'll do head work, valves, more aggressive cam and ITB's, 165-170 whp, and the most intense curve ever. With the short LSD tranny, it will be very fun to drive, and very fun on track. (road course, where turbo cars don't do well)
My current numbers are with a stock head port and valves head. Just crower 2 cam and valvetrain.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I never expected I could build my D from 80% OEM parts and have the same power as my other car with a B16 running low 14s.
Till I found out here in this forum.
I know I wont reach huge hp numbers unlike those turbo Ds, Bs, ITR swaps, etc (money talks here anyway) but I'm so drawn to an NA D build. I just feel it has more science involved coz every HP you squeeze out is a product of your own building ability, knowledge gained/applied and not from some other source outside your brain. And the mere fact that you can learn so much and at the same time create something that's not from the bandwagon and from very readily available OE materials.. it's just too good to resist.

·
Registered
259 Posts
the girls say its seksi!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
its fun,your the ULTIMATE underdog, demands more skill from the driver to drive it fast.
Yup, I built my car for myself no one else. Everyother engine setup has been played out B's and H's are old technology and K's are loot. Plus you can not be competitive in most drag classes with out a high dollar setup, my car is built for a specific class and with a D I am very competitive. There is nothing like some smartass kid in his B16a hatch or a kid in his RSX Type S looking over at you and asking whats in it? When you reply just a allmotor D, him and his buddies chuckle like Im a easy kill, then I humilate him on the track. Priceless.

In the end just build what you want and what will put a smile on your face.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.