Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just curious as to why OEM vehicles that come with a turbo (ie the SRT4 or Evo) dont come with an OEM turbo timer yet it seems almost mandatory to use one on a vehicle that has a turbo installed on it (aftermarket).

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
well i remember looking in my old srt4 manual and seein in the back of the book that they recommend 1 minute for cool down for normal driving and 3 minutes for hard. dont know if thats really nessecary, thats just what the book said.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
well i remember looking in my old srt4 manual and seein in the back of the book that they recommend 1 minute for cool down for normal driving and 3 minutes for hard. dont know if thats really nessecary, thats just what the book said.
it recirculates the oil through the turbo to cool it down so you just don't shut it down after being run hard and fucking up the turbo. Why do you think you see so many cars that came fac with turbo's for sale with messed up snails.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
i usually drive it home like grandpa for the last few miles. if i feel like its neccesary, i might let it idle for a minute. thats all a turbo timer really does. not that its a bad thing because proper warmup and cooldown of the motor and turbo is vital for longevity and reliability. i know some security systems come standard with turbo timers built inn.

·
Registered
94 G20
132 Posts
i think most of the time the car manuals just mention proper procedure, so the car companies probably think that people just read the entire manuals, so they dont need a turbo timer....does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
water cooled turbo's FTW... i don't think the t3/t4 i'm gonna get wil lbe water cooled, but the remote start system i'm getting very soon has a built in turbo timer...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Like squad said

Think of all the factory cars that have a turbo system and think of the ones that are also water cooled and oil cooled or water cooled.The water cooling around the center section is suppose to help keep the oil from cooking.Dsm,saab,vw,subaru mazda,ford,etc etc all those have water and oil cooled cener sections.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input fellas

i was under the assumption that if the engine was designed to have a turbo on it, then cooling the oil would be something they had accounted for in the design. i just dont know how...

but a water cooled turbo that makes sense...and must be nice

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm, maybe this is how I'll make my miliions, or not, LOL!

Why not have sensor w a light that tells you when its ok to turn off the car? Diesels have the glow plug light that tells you when its ok to start...

Lets say you wire it to the parking brake, once its pulled the light would come on and go out when its safe to turn off. It wouldn't be hard by any means...

It'll never happen, but if it does shoot me a pm so I can collect my royalties!

Personally, turbo timers are overrated, are you really that hurried that you cant sit and let the car run for 90 seconds if you've been driving hard? (but I dont have to worry since the wrx is water cooled!)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i was under the assumption that if the engine was designed to have a turbo on it, then cooling the oil would be something they had accounted for in the design. i just dont know how...

but a water cooled turbo that makes sense...and must be nice
i don't feel like seaching for what cars come stock with just oil-cooled/lubed turbos, but i know supra's had oil-coolers... i'd think quite a few stock turbo cars that aren't water cooled would at least have oil-coolers...

bottom-line; watercooled turbos FTW

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally, turbo timers are overrated, are you really that hurried that you cant sit and let the car run for 90 seconds if you've been driving hard? (but I dont have to worry since the wrx is water cooled!)
Dude, if im trying to get my sip on or some action, why would i wait around in my car for an extra minute and a half, thats missing out on like 2 or more shots

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
it recirculates the oil through the turbo to cool it down so you just don't shut it down after being run hard and fucking up the turbo. Why do you think you see so many cars that came fac with turbo's for sale with messed up snails.
im not dissagreeing with it, im just saying that most people dont read the manual and it clearly tells you what to do so you dont have to have a turbo timer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
2007 Dodge 2500 up trucks and duallys are factory equiped with turbo timers. From all the ones I drove, which was well into the hundreds, some of them used there turbo time function after I was done driving. But some were driven differently then others... If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Issue is not the turbo cooling(oil/water) only. If you drive it hard, and suddenly shut engine down(or rev the engine right before shutting it down, like I've seen done sometimes), it leaves turbo shaft to tens of thousands rpm and zero oil pressure. Think about what that makes for turbo bearings, especially journal ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts