Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was absolutely amazed in the difference in my civic after the auto>manual conversion, it is just sooooo much quicker, and much more fun to drive round corners now. I would swap from auto-manual just for the weight advantage!

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
if someone throws their vehicle in 3rd gear when supposed to go into 5th then u need to tell them they have too much lean. someone near me did this same thing and he was leaning so much to his right he might as well have been laying on his passengers lap.

a built auto tranny for a 40psi d-series..... whats the c/r on the motor?

prakash... jesus is not god.

army_mechanic - why do you think everyone does an automatic TO manual swap and NOT a manual to automatic swap in their civic? because auto = teh suck.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the problem is that just like EVERYTHING else on the face of this planet, an automatic has there place, as do the manuals...this is not a debate, it's all based on the sircomstance and opinion, to decide which tranny is better. personnaly as everything i think the two are perfecally even, do to the simple fact that in some areas auto are better, and in others the manualls are better...therefore they even out over everything, it all comes down to opinion, and just like assholes...everyone has them

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well just to let you guys know. i wish my civic was a manual and im just jelouse of you fuckers that have manuals so i figured id make this post. No but seriousely. Everyone does have their own opinion and i do think that a built auto with high stall converter vs. a 5 spd. with anice clutch and flywheel would be a fairly close race. Of course in the same identical cars and 2 drivers that know how to drive.

·
Registered
780 Posts
ive got an auto... i'd rather have a manual though... the auto can just get boring at times... but yes, an auto is more consistant, but unless you've got it built up, a manual could take it any day...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
army_mechanic said:
well just to let you guys know. i wish my civic was a manual and im just jelouse of you fuckers that have manuals so i figured id make this post.
:bigrofl:

·
Registered
Crx
292 Posts
powerglides are 2 spds

really the most accurate statement made is they both have their strong points,
road racing you pretty much need a standard,
drag racing however is mostly bracket racing and you cant beat an auto for that, hell my car runs 9.96 in the 1/8th @71 w/ a 2.36 on the motor everytime after the sun goes down, ive won 8 races in a row with it to date (not rounds, races) oh yea itll run 8.7s all day on the bottle, you couldnt give me enough money to get me to change my car to a standard

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
see people i told you autos were better.!!! Ass holes (j/k). no but honestly for drag racing i do think that you could make your auto just as bad ass if not better then you could a manual even in our little d's.

Human REsource like littlewhitecrx said power glides are 2 spds. so sense you dont know what your talking about please dont post in here again. Why you gotta put down my auto did i say your manual sucks ass?? No i dont believe i did, Duche Bag

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the problem with thecvt tranny is that it is not as stronge as the regular auto. if you could find a way to strengthen it, it might be an awesome tranny to use, cause you could set to keep the rpm's at the max hp point in the power band giving you the effeciency...

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Basicly, it all comes down to apication. In a drag environment the auto's goingto be consitant where as the manual is offers more control in a AutoX or raod race. If you're lookin' for fuel economy in a comuter, the stick is better. Simple.

·
Registered
429 Posts
most of the time, my CVT is pretty bitchin, but I sometimes wish I had a manual. Of course now with the newer cars we have a third option.. the semi-automatic. all the best features of both standard and auto, but with fewer of the weaknesses.. I drove a car with one of these and it was just as fun as driving manual IMO.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
is the semi-automatic the tiptronic? Because they are just as bad as normal autos IMO. What I really want to try out is the tiptronic auto from a nice BMW (or was it mercedes)... they make one that uses an actual clutch instead of a fluid based torque converter or something like that.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
^^:werd:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Makku, the BMW SMG (sequential manual gearbox) on the E46 chassis M3 is F'ing slick using a solenoid to actuate the clutch, SOOOO fast between gears it is like hitting L1 or L2 on grand turismo, gear change is right now.

As far as the CVT goes, it is crap. Honda does not offer rebuilds, or have any authorized rebuilders. When it goes out (and it will, the belt just dies) you are in the hole to a junkyard for a used unit for about $700 (who knows how long it will live) or the new Honda unit is $3000+, yaaayy

21 - 40 of 56 Posts