Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before everyone starts posting calling me a dumb fuck for saying that an automatic is better then a stick, hear me out. Now I undertsand that most of you drive sticks and if your car has the same mods as mine and yours is a stick and mines automatic youll probablly win. But what happens if your going 100 mph and try to shift from 4th to 5 th and you accidently throw it in 3rd??? Whos going to win the race then??? There is a guy here in lexington, kentucky whos car has been in honda tuning once before (d16 engine). His AUTOMATIC transmission is being built by a local shop right now (look for it in honda tuning soon)while his engine is being rebuilt for 40psi of boost. And yes it is a d-series. Now guys i wouldnt make something like this up. He is also adding a 3500 stall converter. Now do you think your stick could beat that??? ALso every fast supra on the track is automatic i know of people who have stick shift supras and convert them to autos. Any fast drag car is automatic, true it is an air assisted 2 spd tranny but still an auto. Im just trying to start a good debate here. hope no one gets too mad about this post. Just let me know what you guys think..

·
Top Aussie
321 Posts
i myself am an auto driver. I'd rather say they both have advantages and disadvantages. If your lookin for performance outta your auto box like running 40 psi then you are really going to need to strength the bitch!

·
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members
643 Posts
Mod for mod and driver for driver, a manual transmission will own an automatic all day long.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok... do u realize what u just said? EVER FAST DRAG CAR IS AN AUTOMATIC. Now.. Unless you drive a 9 second all out drag car.. anyone would opt for the manual transmission. MOST of our cars do not run 9's.. or even 10's for that matter. now.... rethink what you just said. the same car with a manual tranny will beat a car with a AUTO tranny. It is different when ur car make 600, 700, or even 800 hp. Your FORCED to use an auto tranny due to the enourmous amount of hp and tourque. there is real no debate about this. its just simple reasoning. for low hp cars.... whichh almost EVERY honda falls into that category.. manual tranny is the best. and it will win hands down against an auto tranny. its just common sence.

Edit. If your stupid enough to be going 100 mph and shift into 3rd instead of 5th like u said.. that person is a dumb fuck. he needs to stop the car. get out. and NEVER drive a stick again because obviously he does not know how.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good comments guys.
russianwonder32 there is a kid here in lexington who just did this in a prelude but he did it going from 3rd to 2nd at 110 mph.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also how do you feel about the guy running an auto trany in a 40 psi boosted d?? And ye sit is being rebuilt with a race kit that is online for 400 $$

·
Registered
417 Posts
russianwonder32 said:
...If your stupid enough to be going 100 mph and shift into 3rd instead of 5th like u said.. that person is a dumb fuck. he needs to stop the car. get out. and NEVER drive a stick again because obviously he does not know how.
Yeah I was gonna say, if you do the above, you might as well go to school and get a bachelor's degree in "Driving Stick Sciences"!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and one more thing. no matter how much hp your engine is putting out an auto is so much more consistent then a stick. and also russianwonder32 missshifts happen all the time no matter how good of a driver you are it could happen to anyone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
army_mechanic said:
and one more thing. no matter how much hp your engine is putting out an auto is so much more consistent then a stick. and also russianwonder32 missshifts happen all the time no matter how good of a driver you are it could happen to anyone.
Consistently slower then a stick.... and mishifts like what you were saying only happen to dumb shits that dont know how to drive.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For pure drag racing auto's are the best. They are more consistant and they can change shiftpounts and stalls and make them very efficient for drag racing. I love to drive a manual transmission car though...i think its the only way to drive. Im more into roadracing though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i dont feel sorry for the kids mishifting there cars. s2000 owners do it alot.

pays me 25 hours to put a new motor in there car, since honda is nice enough to send it to me in pieces and i gotta assemble it.

25 hrs for 10 hrs of work. i wish there were more bad drivers out there!

·
Registered
ej1
533 Posts
manual is what makes the race interesting. not just dependiongon the car but the driver as well.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only things an auto is good for are

driving in traffic
talking on the phone and driving
eating and driving
and shaving and driving

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
russianwonder32 said:
Edit. If your stupid enough to be going 100 mph and shift into 3rd instead of 5th like u said.. that person is a dumb fuck. he needs to stop the car. get out. and NEVER drive a stick again because obviously he does not know how.
2nd that

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
you should change this to, autos can be just as good as manuals given the right conditions.:beer:

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I love my auto, but if I were to take it all back I would go stick.... but I do admit my high stall converter is sure nice :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most "really fast drag cars" are dog boxes. Comparing your stock AT tranny to a full race built dog box is well crap.
Auto's are more consistant for bracket racing that is why alot of drivers use them also.

Moral of the story auto transmissions have been fighting speed with consistancy since creation.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts