Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only been to the track twice and now i have a failing diff. my b-series tranny can take some serious abuse. btw does anybody have an d16 tranny for sale in the tristate area?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
The tranny is strong yes. The diff no! Why is it though its simple. Our cars are ECONOMY cars not made for abuse. Well so is a B-series right? Now take in consideration hp vs wheel spin. the more grip you have the harder it is on the diff. Less hp (D-series) will naturaly have more grip.

·
Registered
836 Posts
drag or autox? should be fine for autox but drag really rips on your diff...especially with slicks. If it is the diff, at least now you have an excuse to buy an lsd.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i'm not really familiar with B-series, but generally on a D-series engine, the advantages are in the form of the weight of the motor and tranny which, (im guessing) is about 65% - 75% less than a B-series. i'm pretty sure that a D-series engine is built as tough as a B-series, but one of the disadvantages of D-series is not their weak transmission, but their weak transmission gearings.

your best bet is to lighten up the motor's rotational parts, to allow for quicker reving. keep in mind that most D-series engine doesn't make any power past 7400 RPMs and that reving past 8000 RPMs is NOT recommended on a d-series head without internal mods such as retainers, valve springs, etc...

but like Bizzar said, our D-series cars were designed for economy driving, not for extreme racing and abuse.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
sxng9 said:
i'm not really familiar with B-series, but generally on a D-series engine, the advantages are in the form of the weight of the motor and tranny which, (im guessing) is about 65% - 75% less than a B-series.
Wow, that would make a d-series engine like 50 lbs...I WISH!

Try more like 5010% less in weight, if that

And that old heavy ass H22 myth, that should be tossed aside too. Maybe 15-20% more than a d-if that

A

·
0 Posts
not to be the ants at the picnic, but what exactly is "the tri-state area"???

i live in texas, and one could make a case that TX, OK, and LA are a "tri-state-area".... i also think that NV, CA, and OR are considered "tri-state".... for that matter FL, GA, and AL are technically also a "tri-state"

:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ABTsportsline said:
not to be the ants at the picnic, but what exactly is "the tri-state area"???

i live in texas, and one could make a case that TX, OK, and LA are a "tri-state-area".... i also think that NV, CA, and OR are considered "tri-state".... for that matter FL, GA, and AL are technically also a "tri-state"

:)

your defintaly not from around here, but yeh i mean ny,nj,pa,ct etc. i just picked up a y8 tranny with 50k miles for $150 i'm throw that in my car tomorrow. but yeh, i have friends and know of a people that modded there d-series civics and gets these weird transmission problems, such as input shaft bearing knocking, diffs breaking, 40k mile trannys that start grinding etc. my integra had 180k miles original engine and trans and doesnt grind. but being an econo car honda had to cut cost somwhere where right.. i'm going to rebuild this z6 tranny with a obx lsd. this y8 tranny will be up for sale soon if anybody wants it

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
noobs working on trannys = bad issues.

ISB are wear items, replace them!!!!!!!!! Most forget to put the shim and thrust washers back on.

40k mile trannys start grinding = dumbass drivers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sxng9 said:
. i'm pretty sure that a D-series engine is built as tough as a B-series, but one of the disadvantages of D-series is not their weak transmission, but their weak transmission gearings.

but like Bizzar said, our D-series cars were designed for economy driving, not for extreme racing and abuse.
The D-series are great for racing and abuse....trust me I know. 10 years of HARD racing- I've only destroyed/broken one (Z6) & it was super used/high mileage at that time & had never been rebuilt...hind-sight says it shouldn't have been raced on before a rebuild, we already knew it was too old.

I have no complaints over the d-series trannies- actually they are stouter/tougher in many ways from the b-series.

If you need a better diff- send the stock one to OPM autosports they'll refurbish it & improve it (make it a clutch type lsd- for street or racing).
I have yet to manage (8 years) to break an opm lsd (which is so amazing if you know my "driving style." Normally I can break anything & everything. I have 2 of these, 1 per tranny- and have only had to have 1 "refreshed" over the course of time.)

transzex said:
noobs working on trannys = bad issues.

ISB are wear items, replace them!!!!!!!!! Most forget to put the shim and thrust washers back on.

40k mile trannys start grinding = dumbass drivers.
transex ^ (the tranny guru) gave the most probable explanation for the problem (no offense)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts