Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know if any one else has ever noticed but map sensors and the boost gauges seem to differ slightly, mine are both ran to the same port on the manifold yet they differ all the way from idle to full boost. at idle my AEM says 19 and my map says 20.5 under full boost my map says 19.5 while the AEM says around 22. so who do i go buy when i set up my boost control for best performance. My tuner has me tuned to 19.5 so thats where i feel its safest to stay, but whos telling the truth the gauge or the map? what do you guys who tune cars for a living think i should go off of? in case it matters i have a gm 3bar map. or do i go into hondata under map sensor and adjust the map to match the boost gauge?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
IMHO

the sensor, if its not damaged.

unless you have a way to calibrate the guage you have. know anyone in the military or airline maintainence?

if the sensor reads zero (atmospheric pressure) when unhooked from the manifold, it is working correctly and should be trusted.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Autometer Boost and Boost/Vac gauges KNOWN to have issues with zeroing along with other gauge makers.

Sounds like the AEM gauge (?) is reading a little high under vacuum and boost.

PS: you need to list your numbers more clearly.

For Example

at idle my AEM says 19 in/mg and my map says 20.5 in/mg, under full boost my map says 19.5 psi while the AEM says around 22 psi.
Not ragging on you, but clear info does save useless posts asking for clarification.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Autometer Boost and Boost/Vac gauges KNOWN to have issues with zeroing along with other gauge makers.

Sounds like the AEM gauge (?) is reading a little high under vacuum and boost.

PS: you need to list your numbers more clearly.

For Example

Not ragging on you, but clear info does save useless posts asking for clarification.
also, if you look at a lot of pics of autometer gauges people are selling, they sit at either like .5 psi or .5 vac, ive never seen one sit exactly on 0, not even at wot.

my old one said i made 2 lbs of boost when i was still n/a :hammer:

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my boost gauge is a brand new AEM truboost. it reads 0 wen car is off, but i know what you mean my old needle type one was always a tad above 0 when car was off. so i guess its normal for the map to not read the same as the gauge no matter how good of a gauge you have then.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah mine reads like + .5 when car is off, (autometer) i know its off a nut hair. But thats cool, my spring will open when its time haha.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, then i am off to the track, i will get video for you guys, lets hope it dont blow up trying to beat my best et and mph. i will tune off the map then.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What map is it? I'd be more tempted to trust the gauge if its good quality.

The calibration might not be 100%. It doesn't matter if the ECU think's the boost is 100psi as long as it's mapped correctly for that load site.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its a GM 3bar, i will talk to my tuner about it when i get retuned next, perhaps the scaler and offset is wrong, but liek you said its tuned to it as it is so i might as well let it alone for now.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Trust the map sensor. Besides, the Map sensor helps determine where you are on the fuel tables, not the gauge...
:werd:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts