Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have xp pro and a lite-on dvdRW. I've been using vlc media player in the past to watch dvds in the past. Just recently after reinstalling window, I think installed it a couple time and it didnt work. Its a copy thats not in the best of condition, but it installs windows and I can do EVERY thing else.

It was working on xp w/ sp2 but I hate reinstalling it every month so I dont have to activate it. but does anybody have any idea with just the audio wont play. I can burn dvds and do everything else with it. I also downloaded the lastest version from download.com. as opposed to the copy that I have thats worked the past, that doesnt work now...........

·
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS
^^
980 Posts
is it just that program the audio won't play in? If not, try downloading the audio drivers from the manufactures website.

Besides, use dvix its the best video player out there imo.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Best multimedia pack ever. http://www.cccp-project.net/

Installs Media Player Classic, which has DVD playing features.

Contains codecs for most everything. I haven't found a file it wouldn't play yet.

I used to use VLC, but it screwed up subtitles on a few anime series I watch, and had a nasty habit of crashing halfway through an episode.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Best multimedia pack ever. http://www.cccp-project.net/

Installs Media Player Classic, which has DVD playing features.

Contains codecs for most everything. I haven't found a file it wouldn't play yet.

I used to use VLC, but it screwed up subtitles on a few anime series I watch, and had a nasty habit of crashing halfway through an episode.
I'm always weary of codec packs, but... I guess they do get the job done.

I have never had a problem with VLC. Guest, I recommend trying it if you haven't already. green_hornet_96, I assume you tried reinstalling it and/or reverting to the default settings? In my experience, VLC can play everything that other video players can not.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm always weary of codec packs, but... I guess they do get the job done.

I have never had a problem with VLC. Guest, I recommend trying it if you haven't already. green_hornet_96, I assume you tried reinstalling it and/or reverting to the default settings? In my experience, VLC can play everything that other video players can not.
CCCP hasn't had any codec conflicts that I've found yet.

VLC had trouble with Code Geass (the crashes), Darker than BLACK (missing/overlapped subtitles), and wouldn't even give subtitles for another series, I can't remember which one. I think it was Bokura Ga Ita, but I'm not sure.

Besides, I got fed up with having to click video>subtitles>english on every episode. CCCP enables them automatically by default, which is nice.

I know it has a DVD function, I just tried it, but I'm a PowerDVD user myself for the SPDIF surround sound audio function that works with my Sound Blaster Live! card.

In terms of simplicity, I do recommend VLC because it's easy to use.

Woah, I just remembered.. my audio disappeared from VLC about 2 months ago. It turned out that windows wasn't loading an audio device (yet WMP still worked, weird...). I went to control panel> sounds and audio devices and it listed NOTHING. Had to choose my sound card for some reason.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you say it doesn't play, do you mean it gives you an error message, or is there no video?
just no video. I was using VLC, I removed it and reinstalled it, not messing with any setting it didnt work. I could hear the audio in the back round.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
just no video. I was using VLC, I removed it and reinstalled it, not messing with any setting it didnt work. I could hear the audio in the back round.
Yeah, sounds like a codec issue.

I only had this problem back with Win98SE; I thought XP had that codec installed by default. Oh well, I guess not. Try green_hornet_96's multimedia pack.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I think its my xp disc.......... unless theres some setting I dont have set right in windows.....
If you have an OEM XP CD, then I doubt it's the culprit. If you have a modified copy using N-Lite or something, then it's possible.

I wish I was running XP right now so I could poke around. I'm curious now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts