Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is running 300+ whp on there DD honda?? I had a turbo del sol that was very reliable but not running that much power, but my new integra will easily put down 300+, i want to know what your experiences are on built motors with 300 or so whp daily driving?? I have a truck so i won't be screwed if my car is down but i do daily drive my cars in the summer for the most part so i was just wondering your experiences with reliability and just ease of driving?? Also, who takes there on long trips cuz i plan to take many 300+ miles one way trips?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Unless you drive on drag radials 300whp is gonna be pretty hard to keep the tires stuck to the ground.

My buddy has a supercharged b16 crx that makes 289whp and running Falken Azenis tires with traction bars he has no traction till 3rd gear but they are only 14" HX wheels...

300whp is prolly the very max i would go on street tires. and as long as its tuned/well maintained there shouldnt be any reliabilty problems.

·
Registered
879 Posts
~300whp is my goal for my rex'. right now I'am making 225whp @10psi. I'am going to start the motor build very soon. I think 300whp will be able to be fine for reliability especially considering that I will need ~17psi to make it. I will just stay on low boost ~8-10psi for DD duties.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
~300whp is my goal for my rex'. right now I'am making 225whp @10psi. I'am going to start the motor build very soon. I think 300whp will be able to be fine for reliability especially considering that I will need ~17psi to make it. I will just stay on low boost ~8-10psi for DD duties.
how does 225 feel in your rex? ill be making around the same in my rex, just wanna hear your opinion.

i remember watching a show on carroll shelby and his idea was that in a fwd car the most you can put down and have controll is 250whp, after that things start breaking and traction becomes a problem.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, i figured reliability should be fine but ive never had a built motor so i wasn't sure how reliable they would be but i have heard of ppl having good luck. My plan is to tune for 250-300 for DD on the street with drag radials, and somewhere around 400-500 for the track, but i will practice on around 300 at the track and slowly bump it up as i get used to it.

I also obviously know that i won't have traction in low gears at all if im full on the gas but i will jockey the throttle in low gears, and have the power for high speed pulls on the interstate.

·
Registered
879 Posts
how does 225 feel in your rex? ill be making around the same in my rex, just wanna hear your opinion.

i remember watching a show on carroll shelby and his idea was that in a fwd car the most you can put down and have controll is 250whp, after that things start breaking and traction becomes a problem.
it doesn't feel that good now. in 1st,2nd I just spin until the very top of 2nd. and...
in 3rd,4th my clutch is slipping and my tranny sucks.
for those couple seconds in between the tires spinning and the clutch slipping it hauls ass.
I ran @105mph at 8psi and now with 10psi I would imagine it is like 107-110mph car.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
drunkinmaster1 has a 300 + dd

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
My car is at the dyno shop right now having s300 and larger injectors installed, it made 287 whp with the old set up and should be a tad over 300 now, when off the boost the car runs and acts like a normal reliable honda motor, on the boost it likes to rip the tread off the tires. I will let yah know tommorow what it makes now when i get back from the dyno shop.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
my car was very streetable. the key is to keep it out of boost which isnt that hard. the boost is very predictable because in vacuum or low boost its almost like driving n/a. i could drive it on long trips and get decent gas mileage. i even took an hour long trip with ryan89crx to renegade raceway and had quite a few rippers still making 31 mpg. but the option was always there to drive out of boost if i wanted.
now using a smaller turbo that used would be a different story. full boost would hit much earlier, especially on a b-series with the larger displacement.
i think reliability depends more on the factors based on how clean of an engine build, tunning, how well you maintain your cars fluids, and just common
sense like not going WOT in 5th gear in 115 degree heat.
in my opinion 300+ hp is very streetable, but this is based on how you drive.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
in my opinion 300+ hp is very streetable, but this is based on how you drive.
Agreed 100%

My CRX was making 251whp @ 10psi...on the street I rarely ever saw 1psi of boost. I just never really got into it. Just drove it like a normal car shifitng early. It reacted just like a normal car. Take it on a straight away and just punch it, yeah, the tires would scream for mercy and you'd put the death grip on the steering wheel, but other than that, drove like a N/A 105whp D16.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i could drive it on long trips and get decent gas mileage. i even took an hour long trip with ryan89crx to renegade raceway and had quite a few rippers still making 31 mpg. but the option was always there to drive out of boost if i wanted.
now using a smaller turbo that used would be a different story. full boost would hit much earlier, especially on a b-series with the larger displacement.
My turbod del sol got 33 mpg even with some mixed city and hwy driving. I loved that. And im not worried about it spooling early, its a T67 on a top mount mani. Thanks for the help, im going through to rep whoever i can.

And paul, 300 is the goal on the street, this car is capable of way more. You can check it out when i come down to tune it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm pushing about 320whp 289tq on a t3/t4 d16y8 @ 17psi stock bottom end. Stage II clutch, port polish, zex cam and a lsd tranny w/ neptune... Turbo starts to spool @ 4300rpm full boost around 5300rpm, I do have to feather it when i get on it!Come to think about it i do have a small problem fuel hogg...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pushing about 320whp 289tq on a t3/t4 d16y8 @ 17psi stock bottom end. Stage II clutch, port polish, zex cam and a lsd tranny w/ neptune... Turbo starts to spool @ 4300rpm full boost around 5300rpm, I do have to feather it when i get on it!Come to think about it i do have a small problem fuel hogg...
Im pretty sure there is now way that you have 320 whp on a stock y8 bottom end, the most i think i have ever seen on a stock bottom end that ever gets driven is like 260-270 and that blew in a month or 2.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I have 272hp and 240tq @15psi, 10:1 Comp motor. See the dyno plot in my vbpic gallery.
I have a relatively small turbo (super 16g) that spools fast but have no problems staying in vacuum on the highway or around town, and my Highway fuel economy is around 35mpg...
I've had this setup for over 2 years and have done several long trips with it (370miles each way) and I autocross it regularly and have had no reliability issues.

On the street I leave in in low boost (12psi) and 240hp/215tq because there's no point in having more power. It still spins the tires from a 40mph roll even with a quaife lsd... no point in putting additional stress on the motor when it does that... a recent autocross video at 12psi... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWaGQ12zLw
notice in the middle of 2nd, I had to lift to regain traction, and this was on a really grippy surface.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts