Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, new here, I love hondas like the rest of you.

So I just got a 98 Civic EX, my first 5 speed after owning a 99 civic lx for a half dozen years, I noticed the last few days, when I first start it up the idle was sitting at 1500 (i have since cleaned throttle body and adjusted idle, cleaned IACV and it now sits around 700).

No smoke or anything would come out when I first started it up, and I only notice the "smoke" at night when it is very cold out (20-30*F) and never can see it during the day (60-70*F), which leads me to believe it could be steam.

Can't really tell if it is blueish or not.. looks mostly white when I can see it at night, dissipates after 5-10 or so seconds, it mostly disappeared yesterday when I ran some Techron and premium fuel through it.

Only smokes a little at idle and pulling out in first gear. Also have noticed an excess amount of what looks like burnt oil in the valve cover, it was also blowing a little oil out of the EGR into the intake, though I couldn't tell you at what RPM.. I have since thrown a breather/catch can on the EGR (i guess it's the EGR, line coming from valve cover)

Just trying to figure out what these symptoms might be caused by, don't want to get completely ripped off if I might not need a new headgasket (engine was rebuilt at 140k mi due to bad headgasket (now at 170k), head was checked for warping but was fine, car never overheated)

Zero signs of oil on the outside of the engine besides a little near the valve cover where one of the valve cover bolts came loose (have since tightened it)

Coolant reservoir still full. The exhaust smells exceptionally gasoline like... kinda like if you started your car in your garage. (yeah i know that sounds stupid but my old civic didn't ever smell this much like gas).

Some days it won't even smoke at all.

Ill do a compression test tomorrow

·
Registered
Civic coupe EJ6
35 Posts
Does it smell of anything unusual?
It may smell a bit fuely but i usually see that as normal.

Just so you know water is created as a result of combustion which you usually wont see but if its very cold you will be able to see it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts